Chapter 9 ~ New Problems

I should've said something in that stupid meeting. I should've just told everyone that Voldemort was gone for good.

I knew the meeting was going to be a disaster. It was the worst idea ever. The fact that there was a chance that Voldemort was back shook up everyone. I already had enough problems to deal with and trying to convince everyone that Voldemort hadn't returned was added to that list.

First things first, I had to deal with Draco. That was my biggest problem for now.

The argument that we had was in my head all day. I couldn't stop thinking about the hurtful things we said to each other. I didn't mean them, but Draco had pissed me off. It was that damn word vomit. I knew it would come back to haunt me.

After a long day at work, I put my stuff in my bag and organized my desk. I left my office, closing the door behind me. I looked around and didn't see Draco anywhere, so I left the Ministry of Magic without him.

What if Draco wasn't my husband? How would've things been different for me?

I imagined a world where Draco was not my husband. I tried to picture my life with someone else, having kids with someone else. I was happy, I had a stable job, and nothing was wrong. Draco Malfoy was not there. We weren't even co-workers in this world that I was imagining. In fact, it was like he didn't exist. I didn't think imagining a world without Draco Malfoy would be so easy. I wondered if Draco ever thought about a world without me in it.

When I got to the front door of my house, I unlocked the door and opened it, grabbing the mail that was on the floor in front of me when I entered the house. I closed the door behind me and made my way into the kitchen. I threw the mail and my bag on the counter and huffed a sigh.

"I need a drink," I told myself.

I went to grab a glass and the rest of the firewhisky we had when I heard the front door open and close. I knew it was Draco, so I went on with my drink. I was done pouring it when he came in the kitchen.

"I waited for you outside your office," he told me.

"Really? I didn't see you," I replied, not looking up at him. "I thought you had already left."

"I finished later than usual," he said. "Can we talk about what happened today?"

"No, we can't," I answered, taking a sip of my drink.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because we both said what we wanted to say," I replied.

"Max, I didn't mean anything that I said," Draco informed me. "I was just angry about the meeting. Your brother crossed the line."

I scoffed. "He's always crossing the line, isn't he?" I looked up at Draco, who looked genuinely sorry for what he did earlier today. "But he's not the only one who crossed the line."

"I know. I did, too," he said.

"Well, at least you admit it," I retorted, drinking more from my glass.

"Oh, wow, Max. It's not like you're the innocent one in all of this," Draco snapped.

"Excuse me?"

"You said some things to me as well. Don't act like you kept your mouth shut the entire time. I remember what you said."

I huffed a sigh, setting my drink down. "Fine. I may have been guilty of doing it as well. There, you happy?" I stormed out of the kitchen and headed up the stairs.

"Max, we're not done with this conversation!" Draco shouted, following me up the stairs

"Yes, we are!" I shouted back, walking into our bedroom.