Chapter 16; Kim Seokjin

I step away from the dark bedroom as a sudden terror fills me and I run back downstairs. "Jimin? Jimin!" I panic but no reply comes. I'm alone in the dark abandoned house, chased by shadows endlessly watching me.
       The door to the basement seems to creek open by itself and I swallow hard as a familiar voice calls to me from the pitch black depths below. "Jin, sweetheart? You've come home to us?" Eomma's voice wraps around me, caressing me.
      I close my eyes and bask in the sound and memories it brings to mind. Tears run down my cheek as I take a step towards the sound.
      "Seriously? You're doing this?" Jimin appears beside me with a raised brow. "It's dangerous down there." He sighs.
       My eyes slowly open to study him. "It's my eomma. I have to go." I bite my lip.
       His eyes narrow slightly as he peaks down the old wooden stairs. "I don't think it is. You know it isn't, right?"
        I frown. "Just like I know you aren't really you?" I huff.
        His lips twitch before shrugging and stepping out of my way. I grab the banister and slowly creep down the basement stairs. I've always feared the basement. Basement. It's there. There where it all happened. Where it all ended abruptly.
      I shudder from the chill that slides down my spine as I take that last step. I can feel them around me. Eomma. Appa. Jimin.
       I find my gaze locking on the corner on the basement. I slowly make my way over and slide down to the floor. It's just all too familiar. Pulling my knees up to my chest, I glance over there and release a small cry when I see them.
       They're just skeletons now. Sitting upright in the corner...they're black eyes just watching me from my spot on the floor. I can feel them boring into me.
       I don't want to see, want to feel, want to be. Notherenotherenotherenothere....the door upstairs slams open making me jump as daddy's large form appears at the top of the stairs.
       "Jin!" He sounds relieved to see me. I clutch myself tighter and squeeze my eyes closed, beginning to rock back and forth. Notrealnotrealnotrealnotrealnotrealnotrealnotreal.... "I've been looking for you." He sighs.
       I shake my head frantically, flinching as his cold hands try to pry my arms off my head. I c-can't look. "You're not real...not real, not real, not real..." I repeat over and over again.
      "What are you talking about? Of course I'm real. What's wrong?" He asks, voice hardening.
      "Get away from me!" I yell out and make the mistake of opening my eyes. I look up at his tall, angry form and shiver. Those skeletal bodies watch us from the corner. I raise a shaking hand and point at them. "Do you see them, too?" I whisper. He turns to look where I point and I use the opportunity to run.
       Darting past him, I run up the stairs towards the kitchen for a weapon. I can hear him following me but freeze when I hear him grunt then the ominous sound of his body falling back down the stairs.
      Knowing what I'll find, I slowly turn back to see him lying broken at the foot of the basement stairs. Swallowing hard, I clutch the knife I grabbed and sidestep the broken stair to check him.
       He doesn't move. His neck is broken. The skeletons laugh and mock me from the corner while Jimin watches silently from my vacated spot on the floor.
      "Look what you did! This is all your fault, Jinnie." Jimin laughs as his face twists into a mocking smile. "Such a bad boy. No wonder daddy needed to punish you." He cackles.
      I glare down at him as his words hit hard. My grip on the knife tightens. "Shut up! I hate you! This is all your fault!" I sob. Avoiding daddy's broken body, I bite my lip and sit back on the floor.
       "Just telling the truth. It's always your fault, you know. It's your fault your eomma and appa are down here like this." He nods towards the dusty skeletons.
        "You deserve what they do to you." His voice deepens to sound almost demonic.
        He stands and, as I watch, his pale figure seems to glisten before his bright eyes begin fading to black. His bones seem to shift and crack on his small frame. I walk backwards never taking my eyes from his increasingly monstrous appearance. No longer resembling my Jiminie but a real monster, I scream and close my eyes.

 No longer resembling my Jiminie but a real monster, I scream and close my eyes

       If I can't see him, he can't hurt me. I collapse on the ground as I keep the knife with me, covering my eyes. His deep dark voice booms and growls over me as he tries to get me to look at him. He sounds more like appa now.
       I sob as he pries the knife from me and slashes my arms with it. I try to fight him without seeing but he only mocks me further.
       "If you won't look at me then I guess you don't need these!" He growls and I scream in pure agony as the knife plunges inside my eye.
       He laughs as my trembling hand pulls the knife out, my body numbing from the shock. My eye opens and I scream again as his hand reaches forward and gropes my other good eye, completely blinding me and leaving me in permanent darkness.
       I cry and cry as the voices and mocking laughter slowly disappear and I'm left lost and alone in the dark. Blood seeps down my cheeks and into my mouth.
        I don't know if I faint or not...it's all the same now, in the darkness.