Chapter 17; Jeon Jungkook

"Thank you so much for coming in on such short notice."
I smile at the elderly nurse and nod. "No problem. I just came in a day early. I understand you're very short staffed." I acknowledge.

       She nods sadly

She nods sadly. "We keep losing orderlies. You'll be working in the west wing with the lifelong patients." She says, handing me a clipboard with a list of names.
She leads me down towards the west wing. She shows me all the rooms I'll be in charge of. As we reach the end, I notice a patient in the last room. He's beautiful from what I can see.
That is until he turns around as if he feels us looking at him. I gasp in shock at his eyeless face. My face jerks back towards the nurse and she shakes her head sadly at the man.
"Poor kid's been through a lot. He suffers from severe delusions and Schizophrenia. Came from a devastating and quite traumatic home life."
I continue watching as the beautiful man plays with a ratty old doll. "What happened?"
"Do you remember years ago hearing about the Kim Namjoon murders?" She asks quietly.
I nod. "He was infamous. Killed several people before ending up murdering his wife and raping and attempting to murder his ten year old son?"
She nods. "That's him. Kim Seokjin is Kim Namjoon's son. That man was a true monster. Terrorized his family. Abused that boy for years before his death."
"How did he die?"
"He was searching for Jin. Apparently the child hid in the basement of his home and when Namjoon went looking for him, he tripped down the stairs and broke his neck. Bastard deserved it. The incident apparently broke the poor child. He was found days later in the dark basement after his father didn't show up for work.
The police found their bodies lined up together while Jin just sat blankly across from them curled up."
Wow. I clear my throat. "W-what, Uh...happened to his...".
"Eyes?" She asks. "He had a severe episode last month and somehow pocketed a scalpel and cut them out." She sighs.
My eyes widen in shock. "H-he cut his own eyes out?"
"He said it was so he didn't have for see them anymore." She licks her lips. "You can go talk to him if you want. He's a danger to himself but not to you."
I nod. I think I will. Unlocking the door, I step inside and watch with a small smile as he hums to himself while clinging to the old doll.
"Hello." I say softly. "I'm Jungkook. Can I be your friend?" I murmur and sit carefully beside him on the bed. Scars mar his perfect pale skin and sadden me.
He stops playing with the doll. "O-ok. Would you like to play with Jimin?" He smiles and hands me the doll.
My eyes actually tear up as I hold the small rough doll in my hand. "It's name is Jimin?"
He nods. "Park Jimin. He's my best friend."
"Why not Kim Jimin?" I ask easily.
He tilts his head before shrugging. "I like Park better."
I understand. He doesn't want to associate the small doll with his family name. It chokes me up. The suffering this child has had. Even if he's older than me...it's obvious he's much more childlike.
"Do you want to play with us?" He asks quietly.
I frown. "Us?"
"Me and Hobi and Taetae." He smiles and gropes for his doll. I place it back in his hands and stand.
"Later, ok? I'll come back and play." I say and he nods.
"Goodbye." He waves and I walk back out to the nurse. She smiles.
"He's such a sweet kid."
"Does he have friends here?" I ask casually as we begin our tasks.
She frowns. "I don't think. That boy's been here since he was ten and has never spoken to another patient here."
"He mentioned...Hobi and Taetae?" I frown.
Her eyes widen in surprise. "He never met those two. They lived on another floor. Two up, actually. They were killed in a fire that erupted on their floor six months ago. All the other patients were temporarily relocated to this wing and a few others. Unfortunately Kim Taehyung and Jung Hoseok didn't make it. I don't know how Jin even knows their names. They never crossed paths." She frowns in concern.
I nod slowly. So sad. "Was there ever a Park Jimin here?"
She shakes her head. "We've never had a patient by that name. I don't know where he found the name for his doll. He brought it with him when he was admitted. Won't go anywhere without the thing."
So many questions swamp me. I don't even know why I'm so obsessed with this one patient. Why he caught my eye out of all the others. I just don't know.

Everyday I come into work, I talk with Jin. He doesn't talk much but I know he's listening. Because he can't see, I describe all I can to him and walk him around the wing and even sometimes take him outside. Sometimes he'll freeze up or just randomly start crying and mumbling to himself.
It just breaks my heart. I walk him to his psychologist, Dr. Min, and wait for him. He's become my own patient. I spend my entire work day with him. I help him eat and shower and calm him when he goes into episodes.
Sometimes he opens up about the voices haunting him. Always with him. Jimin. Taehyung. Hoseok. It really kills me when he talks about his 'daddy'. Kim Namjoon. It makes me angry and I'm glad he can't see my expression when he speaks that name. It's his fault this man is like this.
I wish I could go back in time when he was alive and kill him all over for him. He doesn't deserve this pitiful life. Locked up forever in a psychiatric ward. Alone in the dark. I want to do anything I can for him. To make life better for him.

 To make life better for him