Chapter 27

(Patrick's POV)

"Well, this is it. We are all going to die. I'm never going to see Mama again. I'm never going to meet my family. This it. I'm meeting Jesus today," Kristina says. She pacing quicker now. She's fiddling with her hands, and she's shaking.

"It's going to be okay, sweetheart," I say. "Hey, Pete, you might want to stop the bus. It's safer to be in a non-moving vehicle," I say to Pete.

"I don't know if I should. Maybe we should just run through-," he starts, but he gets cut off by Kristina.

"Stop the bus now!" She yells, pointing out the window. We all look to what she's pointing at. Sure enough, it's a tornado.

"Everybody! Go outside to a ditch! Cover your head! That's the safest place for us!" Joe yells.

(Kristina's POV)

I don't want to die today. Life is awesome right now. This tornado needs to go away.

Everybody follows Uncle Joe's orders. We run outside, but the wind and rain are so fierce it's hard to walk and see. Everybody finds a spot in the ditch so we are close together. We are lined up head to toe. The tornado is coming. It is fierce.

I feel something land on me. It covers my whole body. I scream because I think it's debris, but then it speaks to me.

"It's okay, sweetie. It's Daddy. I'm going to keep you safe. I love you," Daddy says into my ear.

This is so scary. I'm shaking. Daddy is shaking, too. I've never seen him scared before. The wind is picking and hear the tornado coming closer.

I close my eyes. I don't wanna see my own death. As it comes closer, Dad yells, "Hang on!" I do.

My ears star to pop because of the pressure, and I scream. Dad screams, too. I couldn't hear anything else, but I'm pretty sure Uncle Andy, Uncle Pete, and Uncle Joe were screaming, too.

Something told to me pray, so I did.

"Dear God, I know you know what's best. If this storm takes my life, I will praise You. If it doesn't, I will praise You. If it hurts my family, I will praise You. If it doesn't, I will praise You. You are great.

But, Lord, could you please keep us safe. I would much rather prefer it that way. Please, God. Let this storm go away. Let nobody be hurt. Let nobody die. I know Your will be done, but please, God. Please keep us safe and alive. In Your Name I pray, Amen."

Let me tell you this, God is great. Because moments after I prayed, the storm miraculous subsided. It was still raining, but the sun was trying to come out, and the tornado went into the clouds to never return.

"Daddy! It's over!" I exclaim happy. He gets off of me, and I jump up and hug him. "We are okay!"

My uncles stand up, too, and we all share a big group hug. We also say several, "I love you"'s. We all thought we were going to die, but we didn't. None of us even had a single scratch.

I look at the bus, and it is completely fine. There are no dents, scratches, or broken windows. We are truly blessed.

"It's still raining. Let's get on the bus," Daddy says.

We all step on the bus. I'm ecstatic. I'm grinning from ear to ear. We are okay! We get to live another day! In my happiness, I hear Uncle Joe laugh.

"What is it?" I ask.

"I think you can change your dress now," he laughs. I look down, and it's got grass stains on it and slowly becoming see through.

"Dadgummit, I liked this dress," I say.