Chapter 25

(Kristina's POV)

After going to bed, I woke up in the middle of the night. I couldn't help but to remember the dream I had nearly a couple months ago.

What happened last night was almost just like the dream. However, last night was worse.

I couldn't see anything at the time, being as my face was still in Dad's chest. I silently sobbed myself back to sleep trying desperately to not wake Dad up. I assume I succeed because his breath remained even.

I'm finally awake, and I assume its morning. My face is still in Daddy's chest, so I'm not sure. We never changed positions last night. I'm kind of glad about that because I could have fallen off and woke everybody up.

Daddy's still breathing even, so he must still be asleep. His chin is on my head, his arms are wrapped around me, and I have a feeling I'm not getting up anytime soon.

I really want to, though. The bus is moving, and I hear voices, so that means at least two of my uncles are up.

Despite my sleeping father, I try to get up.

I lift my hands that are crossed in front of me, and wipe my face. I feel dry tears all over it. I lean my head back and notice that Daddy's pajama top is also tear stained. Great. I'm going to have to answer to that.

I lift my hands over my head and put them down by my sides, so my arms are now over Daddy's. I carefully take his right hand, which is the one over mine, and try to lay it on his side. I succeed.

I lean up to where I'm no longer laying on his left arm. I kick my legs over the end of the bunk and jump out. I hear Dad move around. Dadgummit. He rolls over so he's laying on his back and continues sleeping. Thank goodness.

I walk into our "living room" to see all my uncles are awake. Uncle Pete is driving, and Uncle Joe and Uncle Andy are playing on their phones. All of them are clean and dressed.

"Good afternoon, sunshine," Uncle Joe, lightly laughs, still looking at his phone.

"Afternoon?" I ask.

"Yeah. It's 1," Uncle Andy says. "We've been driving for about an hour."

"Wow," I say.

Uncle Joe finally looks at me. His face changes from happiness to sorrow in a matter of seconds. My tear stained face must be noticeable.

I hear Daddy start to wake up. I must have not been as quiet as I wanted. I turn around just as he comes out of the bunk. He rubs his eyes, looks down, notices the tears on his shirt, looks up at my tear stained face, and gets the same expression Uncle Joe has on his face.

I really don't want to talk about this, but you can't run away on a bus. I turn around, and sit on the couch next to Uncle Joe and across from Uncle Andy, who is still looking at his phone. Dad sits by me.

"I think I know what this is all about," Daddy says, motioning to the tear stains on his shirt. This causes Uncle Andy to look up from his phone, and now he also has a saddened face.

"Don't let them girls bother you," Uncle Joe says. I nod in response, tears trying to form again.

"They don't know what they are talking about," Uncle Andy says.

Uncle Pete, who is over hearing the conversation, decides to pull over. Meanwhile, I nod in response to what Uncle Andy said.

"Just, whatever you do, don't cut yourself," Uncle Pete says, siting down next to Uncle Andy. I nod. I don't want to speak because I'm afraid it was cause the water works. I will have to eventually.