Chapter 2

(Kristina's POV)

"What?" I worriedly mumbled.

"We are meeting your father at the hospital," Mom says as she locks the door to the house. We get in the car in silence, and she drives for about five minutes before I break the silence.

"What's wrong? Is Daddy ok?" (I'm a daddy's girl, don't judge.)

"No, Dad's fine. Everybody is healthy," she answers.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and say, "Then what's wrong?"

"I don't know. The hospital called while you were listening to them Fall Out Boys or whatever and said something about a mix-up," Mom blurted out.

That's odd.

"What? Mix-up? That doesn't make any since. What did they mix-up? Somebody's medication?" I say.

"I don't know," she snaps.

We get to the hospital about 15 minutes later and see Dad standing outside the hospital door, pacing back and forth. If you didn't know any better, you would think his wife is in labor!

"Find out anything?" Mom asks Dad.

"Nope. Too afraid to go inside by myself," he says. You can tell by his scratchy voice he's been crying.

"Ok, let do this together then," I say somewhat brave. What could have possibly happened?

We walk in hand in hand and get hit by a big whiff of cafeteria food. Yum. The lady at the reception desk asks if we are the Milani's. We all nod yes and she directs us to a small room with only a large wooden desk, lamp, and six comfy looking chairs sitting in front of the desk. I notice that there are 3 people occupying half the chairs already. I don't know who they are being as their backs are facing me and they sitting down. But someone who appears to be the mom of these 3 people had hair just like mine. Weird. I see who appears to be a doctor stand up behind his desk as if to greet us. We walk in, and I sit down on the end next to Dad, who sits by Mom, who sits by these strangers.

"You are probably wondering why we called you in here today," the doctor says after everybody is seated. Nobody says anything; we just nod.

"Alright, there has been a slight mix up," says the doctor. He inhales and looks down at his desk shaking his head. "Your daughters have been switched at birth."

I look up at the doctor really wide eyed. "What?! How can you mix up children! We are different individuals!" I yell at the doctor whose head is still hanging down.

"I-I don't know. It just happens sometimes. I'm so very sorry."

"Oh, he's sorry," I sarcastically laugh at who I thought was my dad. "That makes everything better!"

"Now, now," my dad says, "don't yell at the man, hon-"

I cut him off.

"Don't call me honey! I'm not even your daughter!" I stand up yelling.

I sit down and start calmly breathing. This all makes since now. Why I don't look like them. Why I don't act like them. It's all adding up.

"I'm sorry, doctor. This has just all taken me by surprise," I say so soft I'm surprised he heard me.

"It's alright, dear. Now," he says directing his attention to the daughters, "I think it would be nice if you meet your real family now. That is, if you want to live with them. We are not forcing you to change your life if you don't want to."

I completely forgot about the other family. They were so quiet and haven't said anything yet. They are probably the ones who noticed their daughter wasn't their daughter.

I slowly raised my hand, "Excuse me, doctor? Does that mean my name really isn't Kristina?"

He looked at me and shock his head no, "But you can keep your first name. If you move in with your real parents, we recommend you change your last name though, just for convenience."

I nodded. I wouldn't care changing my last name. I'm going to have to do it when I get married anyway, so I don't see the harm.

"Now would you like to communicate with your parents?" The doctor asked.

Everybody stood up and when I looked at the family next to me, I nearly fainted.