Chapter 39: Fall

The definition of fall: "To come or drop down suddenly to a lower position, especially to leave a standing or erect position suddenly, whether voluntarily or not. To drop or descend under the force of gravity, as to a lower place through loss or lack of support."

-

James' pov

My fingers drummed quietly but nervously at the steering wheel. I felt a tension grow in the center of my bones and spread out with my blood. The car was moving at a solid speed as the night was still young. Since it was still January that also meant that the sun was long gone and that the darkness surrounded the car.

I looked to my right where Twyla was sitting with the new phone I had purchased for her. It was the first phone she had ever owned and I couldn't help but laugh at her when she didn't know how to turn it on. Something I had soon realized had hurt her feelings and apologized for.

Sometimes I could feel that it was hard to give Twyla things. She never asked for what other people thought were the essential parts of their life. It wasn't that she didn't know what it was or what it could basically do, it was just that she had lived too long without it to feel that it was necessary for her.

Speaking of necessary so was this car ride the total opposite. It was one of my days of which absolutely not meant that I wanted to spend it at the mansion. Not that the mansion was so bad, just that I didn't want Twyla there and the day was meant for me to be by her side. So when I after dinner had said that the boss had called and I needed to head back, she had more stubborn than a goat insisted to come along.

Of course, my first answer had been a strict "no". But since Aiden was at Luke's place and we had the whole penthouse for ourselves, Twyla used very dirty convincing tactics. Which as you might have figured out worked. It wasn't as if the thought of leaving her home alone on a Friday night called out to me like this offer I could not decline. It was just that a "very important extra meeting" felt as something dangerous.

I saw the sign on the side of the road, we were way too far away from home for me to turn back. You might take my drumming as if I was nervous about something I had done wrong. But that wasn't the case. I had followed my routines, as usual, this week and even gotten some orders done a day before they were supposed to be shipped.

"Jamie, what does this mean now again?"

I felt how my thoughts returned to reality when she called my name. I looked ahead for a quick second, we were along on the road and there were fences shielding us from the wildlife. I then looked at her screen and saw what the issue was.

"The phone is saying that a new version is available on one of your apps. You can either ignore it by pressing "there" or you can press "here" and it will take you to the update."

I saw Twyla studying her phone for a second and then shaking her head.

"It's not like I'm ever going to use the health-app anyway."

I looked at her for a second. She was sitting in a plain navy coat, under she wore a knitted white sweater and dark skinny jeans. Just looking at her it was easy to imagine that she was an ideal. Not just for me, but people seeing her must think that she puts down a lot of effort in her appearance.

"What?"

I looked up from her long legs to her face. She was studying my look with an interested gaze which and I quickly my focus back to the road. How much I tried I guess I would never be able to have enough of her. Every move and breath she took I wanted to be a part of. Her presence was like an obsession I didn't want to end. Maybe we had time for a quick stop on the way after all?