Chapter 7

I ran all the way back to the Sykes house. I just needed to be alone. I didn't bother going to Laur's or Jasey's house because nothing they said could make me feel better. In reality, I felt like shit. The guy I had trusted betrayed me. We'd been together for over a year, but he'd been cheating on me. Nathan was right. I was worthless and I deserved to be cheated on. No guy would ever want me, and just me. I wasn't good enough for anybody. 

I ran into the Sykes' house and slammed the front door. I was crying uncontrollably and I didn't even care if Mrs. Sykes or Nathan was home and saw me like this, I just needed to be alone. Nathan was still sitting on the couch, drinking a beer. He just stared at me as I ran down the hall to my room. 

"Lizzy?" He called out as I continued running to my room.

He then stood up and followed me, but I didn't care. I kept going until I was in my room, sitting on the floor with my head in between my legs. 

"Lizzy?" He called again, stepping into the room and taking his place next to me on the floor. 

"Just go away, Nathan" I mumbled in between sobs.

"What happened?" He asked as he shuffled closer to me.

"Like you even care." I whispered.

I was still crying uncontrollably and I just wanted him to leave. I wanted to curl up in a ball and just be alone, but he wouldn't budge.

"Just because I don't like you doesn't mean that I don't care if you're hurting." 

He put his arm around me and I buried my face in his chest. I don't even know why I did it. I guess I really didn't want to be alone, and I really did need someone to comfort me. Who would've thought that the person comforting me would be the person I hated most?

"Could you please just tell me what's the matter?" He asked, sounding slightly annoyed. Typical Nathan.

"You were right." I muttered.

"About what?"

"I'm worthless. I deserve to be cheated on and I should've seen it coming. Of course Jake cheated on me, it only makes sense."

"Hey." Nathan said as he lifted my chin up so I was forced to look at him. I never noticed how gorgeous his eyes were. They were a beautiful shade of green. I didn't know this,yet I've known him for years.

"You are not worthless. Don't even say that. You don't deserve to be treated like that. Jake's an idiot for cheating on you, Lizzy. You deserve so much better than that." He said while looking directly into my eyes.

"No, I don't." I said as I tore my face away from his gaze. "You even said it yourself. You knew that Jake would cheat on me, because it only makes sense. And why would you say that I don't deserve to be treated like that? You treat me like that every day. You always have." I said while looking down at the floor.

Nathan pulled me close to him and wrapped me in a warm embrace.