Chapter 22

Xaiver's P.O.V. 

I shouldn't have left her alone. I should have stayed, then fled the second my mother placed foot in the house.

When I had gotten out of the shower, I heard muffled talking. I thought Ariana must've been talking to someone on the phone, but while I was dressing my ears caught the voice of the person whom I hadn't heard from in three days. My mother.

As the realization suddenly hit me, I sprinted out of my room shirtless.

My mother's presence was so daunting that Ariana couldn't speak. I noticed how she had the cloth gripped between her fingers. My mother had mistaken her as a maid. The way she was behaving and the way she spoke was nerve wracking. I clenched and unclenched my jaw seeing her treating Ari like that. She reminded me how much she hated that I was being lazy towards my housee duties. How I'm misbehaving with her. But what she didn't acknowledge was that she hadn't seen or talked to her son in three days. How she had forgotten to be a mother for years.

We usually don't talk much. Just a nod, hello, and take care is enough for us. For all of us. To my Dad our presence doesn't matter. He's too high to understand anything. Too lost in his own world.

I'm completely fine being home, but with either of my parents under the same room makes it hard to breath.

I lost my mind. Her nonsense argument tortured me like searing iron. I didn't waste anytime and got out of there. The only thing that kept in place, that kept me cool was Ariana.

My sweet innocent baby.

She had kissed my hand. I reciprocated the favor by kissing her hand as well. And just like that, I instantly I felt better.

The café where we are sitting right now is situated downtown. I observe people eating, smiling, scowling and laughing. Everyone has a different story. Everyone is dealing with their everyday problems. I know I'm better than most of the people, but I can't help but be envious of the family sitting on our left, their table clearly visible to me. I tell myself to avert my gaze away but I can't get my eyes off of them.
The kid, who's approximately thirteen or fourteen years old, is helping his little sister with the cupcake she keeps poking at. Their parents are sitting next to each other, sharing smiles and joking about god knows what. I wish I had a sibling. Maybe my life would have been a little better. But again, I remind myself that I'm better than the homeless people, better than the kids who lose their parents. Better than thousands of people.

Ari follows my gaze and places a hand on mine, giving it a squeeze.

"Stop looking at them. They'll get suspicious, especially with this expression you have on your face right now"

I snort, finally looking away to my dark brown haired beauty. She leans her head on my shoulder and I easily slowly slouch down in the seat.

"I'm sorry about today, Ariana. I really mean it. It shouldn't have happened. I was hoping she would still be at work or, I don't know, wherever she spends most of her time." Caressing her cheek, I rest my head on her's.

"Would you stop with apologizing? It's getting annoying. You sound like a five year old kid." She sticks her tongue at me. I know she's trying to lighten my mood and I have to admit she's good at it.

Silence forms between us as I glance at the family.

"Xavier?"

"Yes, baby?"

"Why don't you talk about your mom or dad? I know you said you aren't close to them and I saw today how she treated you, but there has to be more to it, right?"
My breath comes out harshly, and my body stiffens under her touch. She must have felt me go stiff and lifts her head to look at me.