Conversation with Nate and Grace

“Nate, Grace, I need to talk to you,” I say once Gwen and Cassie are out of hearing range.

“What’s up?” Grace asks, taking a seat by the counter in the kitchen. Nate leans against the doorframe, waiting for me to speak.

“As you guys know, the hybrids are coming here first. I made a treaty with the Alpha so they can cover the north side with a few pack warriors,” I tell them.

Grace nods and Nate asks, “What else do you two agree on?”

“I told Alpha to also take Cassie into the pack.”

“You do know that Cassie doesn’t want to be in a pack,” Grace states, drumming her fingers on the counter.

I nod. Cassie and Grace are so close nowadays. I still wonder what will happen to Grace in the future…

“She’ll join them sooner or later,” I answer confidently. “As I was saying, we’ll start training the werewolves today after school. Nate, Gwen doesn’t know about the attack so if you do want to tell her, I won’t stop you.”

Nate thinks for a moment. Even though I know it pains him to lie to his mate, but it is better to keep his mate and his baby girl safe. I know that they’ll be okay. It’s Grace I’m worried about.

“I can’t tell her,” Nate says. “It’s for her safety.”

“What about Cassie? Will she know?” Grace asks.

I shake my head. “She’s too young, Grace.”

Grace sighs. “You’re right…”

“So I’ll pick you up after school. Are you sure you don’t want to enroll in school?” I ask Grace for probably the hundredth time.

“Nah… I can manage without school.”

I shrug. “Suit yourself. If you excuse me, I need to go and call Rick.”

Nate runs off to find Gwen while I make my way to the living room. The clock shows that I have another half an hour before the first bell chimes.

“Hello?” Rick’s voice asks from the other line.

“Rick,” I speak.

“Oh, hey, Mel. What’s up?”

I can’t help but think about the future Cassie telling me that kids in the future will say ‘What’s down?’ I let out a chuckle.

“Nothing much,” I tell Rick. “Can you take Cass out today after school? Nate and I have something to do.”

“Yeah!” Rick says without hesitation. “I mean, I don’t mind. What’s the curfew?”

“Send her back home in one piece at eight o’clock sharp. If you don’t, I’ll skin you with my scissors and use your body parts for my next biology class which is tomorrow,” I threaten.

I can hear him gulp. “Yes, ma’am!”

I roll my eyes, remembering the first time I rescued Cassie. She used to always call me ma’am and followed me like a lost puppy. “See you later, Rick.”

“Later, Mel.”

With that, I hang up on him. Cassie is the first one to jog down while I stand by the door with my bag and Ferrari keys.

I look at the clock to see we have another fifteen more minutes. Can’t the lovebirds hurry up?

Half a second later, Nate comes down with a pained look on his face. I frown at him.

“What’s with the long face?” I ask him.

“Her mood swings are acting up,” he mumbles as he walks past me. “Let’s go. She said she doesn’t want to go to school after puking her breakfast out.”

I pat Nate in the back.

“You’re going to be a great father, Nate,” I say.

That earns me a smile from him.

Author's Note

Drinking Coke right now. I'm so happy!

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.