No Longer Werewolf Cassie

I hear 116 cries himself to sleep where as Nate and I are up looking through the files at 3 in the morning. I tucked Cassie to sleep hours ago.

“I still can’t believe you let a werewolf know about us,” Nate mumbles, glancing at the werewolf hunter files.

I sigh and close the file filled with vampire hunters’ information. I have a feeling that she’s going to be useful to us.

“But she’s a werewolf! What would HQ do when they find out that we’re training a werewolf?” Nate asks.

I’ll talk to Director as soon as HQ has finally solved their own rogue problem. Until then, we’ll take Cassie under our wing.

“You named her Cassie after our mother, didn’t you?” Nate asks sadly.

I nod without answering.

Silence engulfs us except for the sound of papers turning. I open the werewolf file again to see Cassie’s information.

The rogues didn’t write anything more about Cassie other than the scientific substances they put in her. The last experiment they did on her was, just like Cassie said, a few hours before Nate, 116 and I arrive.

“Why did you even tell her about us?” Nate questions. “She’s the first werewolf to know of our identity, and it’s because you told her. Can you imagine what will happen if she betray us?”

It’s just a gut feeling, Nate! It’s just like telling Gwen of our secret! When are you going to tell her anyway?

Nate’s shoulders drop. “I’m planning to tell her after the party on Saturday. Can’t you accompany me? Please?” Nate pleads with puppy eyes.

“No,” I answer quickly. “There’s no way I’m going!”

“Why not?”

“Because Cassie would be home alone!”

Nate rolls his eyes. “The werewolf can defend herself.”

I give him a stern look. “Nate…”

“Melanie…” Nate mocks me.

I narrow my eyes at him. “Shut up, bro.”

“I will not until you come with me to this party, sis.”

I glare at him as he glares back. The both of us stare until I hear a scream.

I stop our childish game and run to see where the scream comes from. It takes me a minute to recognize that it is Cassie’s scream.

Cassie!

I barge in to see Cassie shaking and sweating. Her screams sound like bloody murder. Her eyes are shut as if she had a nightmare. Instantly, I glance around for any danger. There’s nothing in here.

“Cassie?” I say softly, taking a step towards her.

Her eyes open to see me. She snarls at me. I take a step back, my hands are close to my belt where I keep a gun.

“Mel – anie,” she screams. “Make it stop!”

When I’m sure that she won’t attack me, I wrap my arms around her body. She is heating up with fever. Nate is by the door, looking at Cassie worriedly.

Nate, get a wet cloth. She’s heating up, I sign. He nods and runs off to the kitchen.

I whisper soothing words into Cassie’s ears as she trembles. I don’t know what’s going on but it can’t be good.