Awake

I moan in pain with sudden brightness hurt my eyes. Someone scramble to their feet loudly.

“Melanie?”

“Nate?” I croak out as the words slip out uncomfortably through my dry throat.

Nate, without a warning, hugs me so tightly that I wince.

“I’m so sorry, Mel!” he cries, reminding me of Tori. After all, they are related.

I glance around to see that I’m surrounded by dull white wall. A hospital. I’m in a hospital.

I frown at Nate. “What for?”

Nate looks horrible. His hair is messily sticking out everywhere and his eyes have red rims. He also looks pale, almost like a vampire.

“Gwen…” Nate trails off. Instead of looking angry as I expected, he is disappointed. Disappointed of Gwen.

“It’s not – ” I’m cut off when the door slams open with a loud bang.

Cassie is in the doorway, looking like she’s going to burst into tears. She flings herself into my arms unexpectedly. I let out a small ‘ouch’ at the unexpected hug.

“Melanie! You’re finally awake!” Cassie cries into my hair.

I look at Nate in confusion. How long was I out?

“Four days. Today is Thursday,” Nate answers my silent question.

I nod in thanks. That’s when I noticed something in Nate’s ear. It is sticking in both of his ears.

“What is that?” I ask, nodding towards Nate.

“Huh?” Cassie asks, tilting her head at one side like a lost puppy.

“Those things sticking in Nate’s ears?”

Cassie giggles as Nate answers, “I’m sure you have heard of hearing aids, don’t you, Mel?”

My eyes nearly pop out as realization dawns me.

“You can hear me?!” I shout at him.

Nate winces and covers his ears. “Don’t make me deaf all over again!”

Out of joy and happiness, I jump out of bed, only to find myself crumple to the floor due to my stiff knees.

“Shit,” I curse under my breath as a tear threaten to fall.

Cassie comes to my aid immediately, carrying me back to the bed. I seem to forget that she is a thirteen-year-old werewolf.

“You shouldn’t do that, Mel,” Cassie scolds with her hands on her hips.

I grin sheepishly at her. “Sorry, mum.”

Cassie rolls her eyes.

I point an accusing finger at Nate. “When did you get those hearing aids?”

Nate’s head drops as he mumbles, “Wednesday.”

My hands are wide open, indicating Nate to come closer and give me another hug. Nate does.

“So what happened when I was out?” I ask, leaning back.

“Brad’s death was announced on Tuesday and the funeral is tomorrow. The soon-to-be-Alpha is here in MeadowFalls and the party is postponed to next week. I don’t want to go to the party anyway,” Nate informs.

I nod. “We should attend the funeral. What time?”

“Ten in the morning. Many of our schoolmates are going as well. 

Suddenly, I hear Cassie growl lowly under her breath.

“Hi.” Gwen’s timid voice shocks me.

Nate glares murderously at Gwen, making Gwen look down in shame. I hit him lightly.

“Hey, Gwen,” I say casually, looking at Cassie, Nate and Gwen. Nate looks like he wants to comfort his mate but forces himself to do so. Cassie looks like ripping Gwen’s arms out.

Gwen looks entirely out of place. She looks as horrible as Nate. Or maybe worse.

“May I talk to you alone for a minute?” I request as Nate and Cassie starts to growl together in protest.

“But – ” I point a warning finger at Cassie as she lets the sentence hanging.

“Go and grab something to eat in the cafeteria. Perhaps pizza for me, if there are any,” I tell them.

Nate and Cassie walks slowly out of the room, but not before glaring at Gwen in warning.

Author's Note

What do you think of this chapter? Love it? Hate it?

Facts about me #7: I'm an atheletic person.

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.