Indian Style

Author's Note

Hey, guys! I'm sure the last update gave you a heart attack! I know that it will give me one if I were anyone of you and you would chop my head off with a butcher knife. That wasn't the real update. I was just bored. Anyway, here is the REAL update. Enjoy...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

“You guys own a freaking Ferrari!” 12 shrieks when we approach our ride.

“Yup,” I answer, opening the boot to dump my bag in it. Nate follows suit while 12 keeps staring at my car with admiration.

“Don’t you own any vehicle, 12?” Nate asks.

12 shakes her head. “No, 86, being a vampire hunter mean we’re constantly on the move. We don’t have the time to stop and look for cars.”

I feel pity for her. I wonder how long she has been a vampire hunter…

“So how long does it take to go to…?”

“Meadow Falls.” Nate supplies for her. “Roughly about three hours.”

12 nods. “I might as well catch up with sleep.”

So I take charge of driving while Nate plays around with the radio. Nate is now snoring beside me while 12 stares out of the window.

Nate’s and my birthdays are in a few days time. We’re turning eighteen! What really worries me is that the future Cassie, Victoria and Nicholas told me that I’ll die at the age of seventeen.

Does this mean I have a few more days to live?

Maybe I’m going to sacrifice myself for Nate.

My eyes widen at the possibility.

That’s it! After all, he is the one planning to go fight with possibly five or more hybrids.

“Mel, I can take over from here,” Nate says. I jump a little in surprise. How long have he been awake? Was I thinking so much that I barely pay attention to my surroundings?

“Are you sure?” I ask, making sure he’s capable of driving after his nap.

He nods so I pull over to switch places. Once he’s driving, I mess with the radio.

“Hey! Leave the radio alone!” Nate protests, slapping my hands away.

I glare at him. “No!”

“Leave it.”

“Never.”

Nate sighs in frustration when the radio blasts an Indian song. “For the love of God!”

I laugh and then move my head like a typical Indian to the sound of the sitar.

Nate looks amused. “Since when do you listen to Indian songs?”

“Why do you care?”

He pouts. “I’m your brother! I am allowed to ask!”

I roll my eyes. “Ever since zombies took over Pluto.”

Nate frowns. “Why Pluto? Why not Venus?”

“Why Venus?” I shoot back.

“Why not?”

“Exactly!”

12 looks very entertained from the back seat. “You two act like a married couple,” she comments.

Nate and I grimace at the thought. “Eew!” we chorus and I fake puke.

“Seriously, 12? Just seriously?” Nate asks, the grimace still hasn’t left his face.

12 grins. “It doesn’t take a genius to know that you’re both twins.”

Before Nate or I can reply, Nate’s phone rings out loud. Nate uses one hand to steer while the other digs into the pocket.

“Answer it, sis,” Nate says, handing me him cell phone.

I look at the screen to see ‘Gwenny’.

“How sweet! You even saved her number as her pet name!” I gush like an old lady.

Nate grumbles under his breath. “Shut up.”

I ignore him and answer the call. “Hey, Gwen.”

“Mel? Where’s Nate?” she asks frantically.

Something is wrong. “He’s driving. What’s wrong? What happened? Anything attacked the pack?” I ask in my hunter voice.

Nate looks worried as he slams into the gas.

“No, Mel. No. It’s just that – it’s,” Gwen stammers. A moment later, I can hear her sob.

“Gwen! Are you there?” I ask worriedly. Nate looks like he’s going to blow up with his face so red.

“Melanie,” she says before I hear a loud thump.

And the phone is silent.