Last Hope for Mankind

“Are we all ready to go?” Nate asks, glancing at me.

I nod and put on my shades. “Let’s get this show on the road.”

12 cracks a smile at my words. Together, we head to the same hall silently. There are hunters in the hall already. Some have bruises on their faces. Others have a smug expression on.

Nate and I exchange a knowing glance.

Why can’t vampire hunters and werewolf hunters just cooperate without using violence? They are acting like children!

Even Director, who is sitting at a table with other HQ agents, looks disapproved. When he casts a glance at Nate, 12 and I, he beams.

I nod at Director in acknowledgement which he quickly replies with a nod of his own.

“I’m going to get my Coke. I’ll be back,” I tell Nate and 12.

“Who drinks Coke at this time of the day?” I hear 12 asks once I leave them.

“Apparently my sister does. You don’t want to know what will happen if she doesn’t,” my twin answers her, making me roll my eyes.

I head towards the vending machine and feeds it a few coins. Just when I got my Coke, I turn around to walk back to Nate and 12 when I notice a few HQ agents staring at me. Most of them looked stunned.

I shrug of the feeling.

“I ordered waffles for you,” Nate tells me when I take a seat next to him.

“Thanks,” I say back, staring at the group of HQ agents that are staring at me.

Nate nudges me and then signs under the table so no one can see. What’s going on?

They were staring at me, I sign back.

Who?

HQ agents.

Nate casts a brief glance at them to see them looking somewhere else instead of me. That was strange…

“I don’t want it toast! I want it burned, for the love of God! You’re damn lucky that I don’t have anything to shove something down your throat!” 12 screams at the terrified-looking chef.

He struggles to speak English since he looks French. 12 got irritated and stomp her way towards us.

“Bloody French people,” she says coldly, glaring daggers at the French chef.

I quietly sip my Coke, amused. Who knew she can be a hot-head? Not me!

“Good morning, hunters,” Director says loudly, gaining everyone’s attention. “Today, the HQ agents will demonstrate ways to kill a hybrid. It is encouraged that you stick with your partners until everything is back to normal… Hopefully.”

A few hunters scoff at this. I still don’t understand why vampire hunters and werewolf hunters can’t get along. Maybe because they both are hot-heads.

Director ignores them. “First, you need to see how a hybrid looks like. Pay attention, hunters, this will be the only time you’ll see a hybrid up close and safe.”

With that, someone drags a huge cage with a monster in it, snarling and growling constantly. It is taller than Cassie if she is in her Lycan form. The creature has bloody red eyes and claws with dried blood on it. It still has a small piece of trousers stuck to it.

Based on my observation, it is a male hybrid that was formerly a human boy.

Director takes a silver knife and put the tip of the knife on the hybrid’s weird-looking hands that are on the bars.

All of us cringe when the hybrid lets out a painful howl.

“Silver is their only weakness,” Director concludes. “These hybrids transform humans by biting them, just like ordinary vampires. They drink blood as well. The only relations they have with werewolves are their spirit wild animals that took over and their exterior transformation.”

Director slits the hybrid’s throat out with his silver knife. The hybrid falls with a loud thump.

“Ladies and gentlemen, you are our only hope for mankind.”

Author's Note

I'm so sorry for the late (and I mean very late) update. I was concentrating so much on the other book that I've nearly forgotten about this one. (Forgive me? *puppy eyes*) 

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.