Dead and Dreams

“Do you have any urge to drink blood?” I ask, looking down at my notes.

Cassie shakes her head. I put down a cross next to the question. I’m trying to find out if she has any vampire characteristics. Who knows she might be the hybrid that the vampire mention. So far, no progress. She can’t even shift back to human, worrying Nate and I. How are we going to go back to MeadowFalls with Cassie like this?

I sneaked Cassie out in the woods six in the morning since 116 doesn’t know what’s going on. She is a little bit taller than me in this form. Nate research and finds out that Cassie might be a Lycan. However, she does not shift back to human and she can understand us. Nate is still in the house, researching for more while I ask Cassie some questions.

I sigh, looking around the meadow. Cassie whines, almost as if saying, ‘What are we going to do now?’

I put my hand on her claws, making her flinch. “I don’t know, Cassie. We’ll make this through, I promise.”

Cassie lays down with her head on my lap. I set down my notes, taking a break. A yawn escapes my mouth as I try to remember the last time I slept.

Cassie whines again. Her brown eyes shows worry.

“I guess I’ll take a nap. Wake me up before eight,” I say softly and then drift off to sleep.

I look around to see myself surrounded by Nate’s and Gwen’s children from my previous dream. It is a girl and a boy. The girl looks a little older than the boy. I would guess that the girl is around Cassie’s age.

‘Follow me,’ she tells me, walking towards a darker side of the dream.

Without hesitation, I follow the children. I still can’t tell whether this is a dream or not.

‘What are your names?’ I ask them curiously.

They didn’t answer and keep walking forward. I sigh in annoyance.

‘Where are we going?’ I look around to see that we are in a house. The pack house, to be exact.

The girl stops walking and whisper something into the boy’s ear. The boy nods with a serious look. It reminds me of Nate in hunter mode.

‘Come,’ the girl says. Her voice gentle yet full of authority. She, on the other hand, reminds me of Gwen.

Once again, I follow her. We reach the very same meadow where I spend the morning asking Cassie all kinds of questions. I see two figures, one is Cassie in her Lycan form and me, sleeping on the ground. Cassie stares at me while I sleep.

‘What does this mean?’ I ask the girl.

‘Something will happen to you,’ the girl says, staring at Cassie.

I stare at her, waiting for her to continue.

‘I can’t tell you what, but you have to be careful. I know that you would sacrifice your life for mum and dad.’

‘Your parents are Nate and Gwen, right?’

The girl nods.                       

‘Then why are you telling me if you can tell them?’

My future niece sighs. ‘First of all, I’m from the future. Second, can you imagine how would they react if me and my brother pops into their dreams two times and warn them about the future?’

I keep quiet.

‘I have never seen you in my time before,’ the girl says.

‘Why?’ I ask cautiously.

She looks down as she whispers, ‘You died before I was born.’

‘What?!’ I start to pace up and down. Me? Dead?

The girl nods, tears skiing down her cheeks. ‘You died protecting mum and dad. Aunt Cass told me all about you when you were alive.’

I put my hands up. ‘Hold up. How did you even appear in my dream to warn me?’

The girl’s head falls as she stares at the ground. ‘My brother and I stole a potion from Miss Frank. We just want to know how you look like and maybe this warning can save you.’

My head starts to spin in circles. ‘How did I die, kid?’

The girl shrugs in reply. ‘I don’t know… Don’t call me kid, my name is – ’

“Melanie! Wake up!”

Everything turns black before the girl can answer me. Hopefully I can save Nate and Gwen without getting myself killed. She did mention that Cassie will survive. No matter what it is, it must be huge.

“Melanie!” a voice once again calls out.

I open my eyes slowly. It is blurry at first but I manage to make out Nate’s worried face.

“Nate?”

“Oh, Mel!” He hugs me so tightly that I can’t breathe. I can feel my face turning blue at the lack of oxygen. Cassie looks at me worriedly as she whines softly.

I tap Nate’s back. Nate quickly let go of me and start apologizing.

“What’s going on?” I ask groggily.

“You died,” Nate bluntly explains.

I shot up into a sitting position. “What?”

“Your heart stops beating for about ten minutes! Cassie shows up to me and start whining and whimpering. I follow her until I see you laying on the grass, lifeless! Don’t do that o me, Mel!” Nate cries, burying his face in his hands.

I put my hand on his shoulder. I’m really confused right now. I died? Does this mean I went to heaven and met his future daughter or something?

“I’m fine,” I assure both Nate and Cassie.

Nate hugs me again, this time not as tightly as before. Cassie looks at the both of us with sadness.

I hold up my right arm and gesture Cassie to come here and hug me too. She slowly walks over to me. Once she’s in my reach, I pull her into a hug. I feel her tense before relaxing.

Nate looks at Cassie gratefully.

“Thank you, Cassandra,” he tells her.

Cassie has tears in her eyes as she nods at Nate.

“We should go back home to MeadowFalls,” I announce.

Nate smiles and says happily, “Home.”

Author's Note

What do ya think of this update? Out of curiosity, can YOU comment where you're from? If you're shy, you can PM me. 

Facts about me #1: I'm Asian.

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.