Chapter 25

Author's Note: Sorry for the late update :) Might be short!! :P

Dedicated to: softballchick13 :) 

Story Quote: "Don't worry, they'll find him, okay?" 

Chapter 25

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hopped into the car and Martha quickly slid into the drivers side. As soon as the door was closed, she started the engine and we sped out the gates. There was no car in sight but just in case, I scanned my eyes carefully at the sides of the road, in case they were running through the fields. Still. Nothing. 

Martha kept going. She was at least thirty kilometers over. I didn't care and I don't think she did either. 

"Have the police been told?" I ask frantically. 

She continues her hard and concentrating gaze on the road. She nods. Good, at least they may be looking for them too. 

"How do you think you would react if you didn't love him?" She asks, almost breathless. 

I hesitate for a moment. I mean, I already knew that I would see be frantic but did she believe that? 

"T-the same," I stutter. 

"I know dear."

I don't say anything back. What was there to say? Did she believe me? Something in her voice tells me she is not sure. That no one is sure but it's the truth. Josh is so innocent like, I couldn't imagine not helping him in a situation like this. 

"What do you think makes Josh and Jack so different?" She asks. 

I think for a minute. Now I understand what she is doing. She is trying to help me open up to everything. She was closer than I thought. Now. Well, Josh is nice and Jack sort of pretended to be? But they both did the same thing, so, what was the real difference? 

"W-well, Josh is honest about it, I guess. . .' Jack doesn't actually appreciate any girl, where Josh does?" I said it more like a question.

She is smiling. So, I must be right. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We've driven anxiously for about another twenty minutes. I'm getting more frantic by the minute. I'm nearly ready to rip out my hair. I'm sweating and I have tears stuck in my throat. 

"He's gone," I say. 

"No, he is not, it's only his father, we can get him," Martha replies, rather hard. 

She is worried too, of course she is! She's been close to Josh for ages!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another twenty minutes. Nothing. 

"W-where does his father live?" I ask, prepared to wipe my eyes. 

"I have no idea,' Martha says, 'if he's still at the same place, he lives about four hours away." 

There was no way he was going to drive four hours! He would have to be going somewhere closer. . .

"Don't worry Scarlett, we will get him, okay?" 

I look at her and she briefly returns my gaze before she looks back to the road. I trusted Martha. We'd be getting Josh back, and soon. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I suppose I never thought about it realistically. I felt stupid really. Did I actually think I'd see him again, tonight? My fantasies did, but not my realistic side. It was early night and we were heading back to Cormac. And by we I mean Martha and I. Not to mention, the mood wasn't any better. There was no Josh and there was none of that, that. . .happy laughter as if nothing had happened. It was just silence as we pulled into the driveway and the engine came to a pause.