Chapter 19

Author's Note: Dedicated to MariandNani :)

Chapter 19

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We just got out of the car, once we arrived back at the camp. I helped Josh get out of the car, hoping no crazy killer doctor was going to come past and push him over. I grab his arm, ensuring that he was stable, and so I could help him watch his step, otherwise, he'd strain his eyes, trying to control his vision over his brace.

"Thanks," he said weakly.

"Your welcome," I smile.

We casually walk up to the food hall. Afternoon tea has just started. I take him in and we sit at a table near the door.

"What'd you want?" I ask him, eyeing the table.

"Just a drink," he says. He lets out a deep breath.

"Are you alright?" I ask, feeling uneasy.

He nods dismissingly.

I go over to the table and stare at it for a while. There was biscuits, and cakes. . .and fruit. I decide on a shared meal, so I grab a plastic plate and fill it with a couple of different things. A pieces of fruits, and some biscuits here. Then I grab two drinks, making sure I grab both of us a straw.

I slide back into the chair and place the drinks and plate onto the table.

"Just thought I'd get a couple of things to share," I say, placing the straws in our cups.

He nods and I slide over his drink. I pop my own straw in my mouth and sip the water. I look around the room and I spot Morgan. She's seem to be socialising, but she looks quiet and weak. Maybe she feels bad for what she did. I turn back to Josh.

"Why'd you break up with her?" I ask, taking another sip.

He looks at me, a slight grin growing across his mouth.

"Oh," I smile.

"Do you really think I broke up with her? He says, sounding regretful, but not because of his action. 'I wasn't. . . really going out with her. . . "

"Doesn't matter," I smile, trying to make him feel better.

There's a long pause. I'm eating a biscuit, breaking it into pieces as I go. Josh is stirring his drink with his straw.

"Have you actually ever been out with a girl?" I ask.

"Well,' he says, 'they all think that, but. . .maybe in preschool." He shrugs.

We laugh. So he hadn't really gone out with one girl. Just a lot. His playing is starting to settle on me. I don't mind it that much. I just hope he's not horrible to the girls.

"Do you want to come again tonight?" He asks.

I nod my head enthusiatically and he smiles.  

We sit in silence for a bit . . .and that's when the though hits me. Josh and me? I couldn't actually go out with him. . .we couldn't be a couple. He's still a player. My little bad boy friend. The words from last night echoed in my head. "I just hope you don't see me the way most of the others see me. I've had a hard life, but I'm not complaining. I suppose I just found a way to use it, and, I enjoyed it. Please don't regret that kiss, because I sure didn't. G'night Scarlett." 

And I wasn't thinking bad about him either. I'd just be a little jealous... No. I've just realized that we can't be together, and that somewhat doesn't bother me a whole lot, because he's an amazing friend. I mean, I wouldn't mind it. I still had that stab of pain in my heart, when I realise the truth. . . but I'd just have to see what happens. All my thoughts are muddled and I can't make my mind up about this whole situation.