Chapter 32

Author's Note: Sorry I hadn't uploaded!! But here it is :) 

Story Quote: "The word 'POLICE' comes into view, with the blue and white squares behind it. I feel my heart pounding a little faster, but I take a deep breath."

Dedicated to: KatnissPeeta66 :) :) Thanks for the support :) 

Chapter 32

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

It's late afternoon. I haven't seen Josh for nine hours now. To be honest, I don't know if I want to see him or not. All I want to know is why he would do something like that. I regret to think it, and it hurts so much, but I wondered if he would ever do that to someone else, someone innocent and kind, not just someone who made him mad or always got into fights with him. Sometimes I wonder if he would have ever hurt me but that likes waiting for snow at boiling hot temperature. It seems like no chance. I know Josh would never do that sort of thing to me. I know he was drunk. He would have had to been extremely drunk at the time, It hurts so much to think about it, but I can't help it. 

"Scarlett? Scarlett?" 

I suddenly realise Addie is calling my name. I turn my head to her quickly. 

"S-sorry,' I mumble, 'I was. . . hmm, just daydreaming, sorry, what was it?"

She gives me a sympathetic look before she starts. 

"I was just wondering if you wanted me to go get some dinner?" 

We were back in the cabin. I had just sat here for hours, not doing a thing, since lunch. I think for a moment before finally shaking my head. 

"No. . .thanks for the offer anyway," I reply. 

She just nods. 

"Well, I'm just gonna go and grab something, I'll be back."

I watch as she leaves and Martha comes through. She enters without a word, and doesn't speak for a while. 

"What . . are you feeling?" She finally says. 

I think for a moment before answering. 

"Worried, I guess. Scared. Funny, how dad doesn't know any of this."

I attempt a laugh, but it's muffled and sarcastic sounding. I know Martha is thinking of something to say, but I guess she doesn't know how to respond to my words anymore. They are always the same lately. They are always about my feelings. Then it hits me, and I feel even worse. It makes me feel extremely selfish! Josh wasn't only important to me, I completely forgot how important he was to the other people here, especially Martha. I lift my head and see that she's staring at the carpet, sort of in deep thought. 

"How are you, doing though," I finally say. 

I don't mention that I forgot to ask her, or how bad I felt about it. She lifts her gaze and swaps to me. We stare at each other for a moment. 

"Okay, I'm dealing with it fine." 

She twiddles her thumbs. There's not really anything else I can say. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

About five minutes later, Addie comes back with Mr. Armstrong following behind. Addie enters with her tray for dinner. Mr. Armstrong has a serious look on his face. Martha immediately stands up and heads over to him. I flick my eyes back and forth between Addie placing her tray down and Martha leaving the cabin. Mr. Armstrong looks behind her, and shuts the door, while looking me straight in the eyes. I don't move, I'm not going to go and listen to their conversation through the door. I will sit and wait. I can see that Addie feels guilty about having food.