Chapter 6

Serge's father backhanded me again...
The man hit me! He actually hit me so hard that I could have sworn I saw stars. Was this how death felt like? But even so, I knew I wasn't dead.

I was still conscious, and I could still hear the arguing around me. Loud and clear. While they were arguing, I pretended to be unconscious on purpose.

"He is mine dad!" Serge's dad only cleared his throat and I could tell that he was desperately trying to keep his calm façade, but he was failing. Hard and fast. He clenched his jaw shut, as he stressed out every syllable."Your title will be stripped away from you, if you don't do as I say, take this blasphemy out. Or it will be you who's name will be tarnished in freshly spewed blood." Serge growled loudly.

"I need an alpha who will properly produce heirs or a lineage!" His father threatened menacingly.

I could hear someone's footsteps approach me, and a hand shake me roughly by my shoulder. "Logan, come on and get up, I know your faking it we're going to have to leave." I only groaned as I peaked one eyelid open at him, and forced myself to sit up.

He offered his hand, in which I purposely ignored, and stood up completely. As we walked out the door, I stole one quick glance towards Serge as Serge glanced at me in worry. I only nodded my head towards him in acknowledgement, while I ignored Serge's father scoff, as Nikolas and I made our way out the door. Once out, Nikolas locked the door shut, and turned towards me with his arms crossed. "Come on, I need to show you something."

He bobbed his head to the side as he walked down the hallways, and I couldn't stop myself from gawking at all the statues and painting.

There must have been some rich history beneath these walls. The impact of it all left me stunned into silence, mostly at how uncultured I am compared to this family.

I began to memorize every detail, every door, and each statue/painting that I have come across. These statues and paintings were ideal for booby traps. I thought smugly to myself, I paused at one painting near a statue of a wolf.

It was a painting of a woman, a beautiful woman with long locks of auburn hair, and hazel green eyes. But what caught my attention the most was the way her eyes glazed over.

She looked very sad, "Who is she?" I asked Nikolas.Nikolas paused in his step, as he turned around and turned his gaze towards the portrait, his eyes suddenly began to match the expression on the woman's face.

He hesitated before replying, "That is Serge's mom, don't worry about her too much, and lets go." He whispered as he continued to trudge down the hallways, making it easier for me to catch up to him. I walked behind him, but not too closely as I gazed at every painting, and every statue. I let out an ooof as Nikolas abruptly stopped in his tracks, and I accidently bumped into him from behind.

I had to hold on to him so that I didn't fall. Nikolas only chuckled at my clumsiness, which in turn, made him all the more smug about himself, and left me utterly embarrassed. I tried to restrain myself from shooting profanities at him, when his chuckle turned into laughter. I crossed my arms and looked away from him.

"Sorry, didn't mean to laugh, but your cute when you are mad. Its hard to take you seriously." I only tsked at him, as he wiped away a tear that escaped his eye. He slapped his hands together while rubbing his palms together. "I'll be needing you to not look since we're here." I tilted my head slightly, and knitted my eyebrows together in confusion. Look at what? "There's nothing there." He chuckled as if I told some kind of joke to him.

There really wasn't anything there but a wall, and an empty statue stand.There is also a twisted picture frame hanging above it, but there was no picture."That's what you think." He mumbled to himself. He sighed impatiently when he realized that I wasn't planning on looking away any time soon. Not when things just started to get pretty interesting.

But also a little bit on the freaky side.Nikolas bobbed his head back and forth, due to the irritation that he felt from my stubbornness.He waved his hand in front of the empty picture frame.And I watched gob smacked as the picture frame begin to open on its own like a door would.

"That's something you don't see every day." I mumbled to myself. I blushed in spite of myself when Nikolas heard me.

"True that, my good friend, but this time I'm going to need you to really look around, this stuff just got serious." Against my better judgment, I did as I was told. I didn't want to get any more freaked out then I already was. But I'm afraid that it was eventually going to be left as an understatement.I turned my body away from him fully, so that I was gazing down the narrow hallway that we just walked from.Nikolas snapped his fingers. And within' a blink of an eye, everything grew dark!

I couldn't see! I couldn't see anything.

The hallway disappeared; the pictures and the statues were all gone. I didn't understand anything. I couldn't hear, or see Nikolas. My body frame stood rigid as my body began to shake as tremor after tremor rocked my body to the core. I felt an arm sweep under mine, and I let out a scream.

"Calm down its me!" Nikolas cried out as he started leading me towards the depths of the unknown.

"Fuck where did I put that lighter?" We stopped walking when I heard him rumble around his pockets for the lighter. A lighter! I couldn't help but think that this escape was easier than I originally made it out to be. When he finally found it he let go of my arm to grab something else, he flicked the lighter once, and then twice.

Once he saw a spark, he let out a breath of relief. And flicked the clicker a litter harder until we finally saw the spark of flame, and lit up a torch that he was holding. He moved torch to a nearby wall and I grew stunned into silence, when he lit up a little wedge between the wall that was mysteriously filled with oil. And watched amazed as he lit it with fire.

As the flame spread into a thin line, the walls around us burst into life.Inside these walls, were book shelfs piled after one another. I've never seen so many books in my life. "Here you'll see a collection of the history that you will need to know in this family." I looked up at him in confussion. "History?" He nodded. "You asked why you are here, and these books will tell you just that."

I frowned at that, "They're just books though." He shook his head. " The only thing that i'm going to ask of you is to keep an open mind for starters, and when you find out about the secrets, that you won't say anything. I need you word on this."

I cringed when he spat on his hand and held it out towards me while looking at me expectantly. I only looked at him like he grew two heads. "What am I supposdd to do with that?" I asked him, still completely left dumbfounded and bewildered.

"We spit on it." He smirked as his eyes shone mischeviously.

"Spit on it?" I cocked my head to the side, as I glared down at his hand in disgust.

"Oh come off it! You never heard of the spit brotherhood?" I shook my head at him as I took one step away from him.

"Don't be a pussy, you're a man aren't you? Grow some balls, all you do is just spit on your hand and we shake on it. Its a truce, and in your world like a promise." He nudged his hand towards me in encouragement, while I had to swallow the bile down my throat.

I took out my hand and brought it up towards my face and spat in it. Cringing in disgust, when some of it slid down my palm and didn't stay put like Nikolas' did. Nikolas barked out a laughter, while he blew out the torch and set it down on the floor. "Try that again, that was pathetic, my sister can spit better than that and she's just a baby for pete's sake." He chuckled.

I wiped my spit on my pants and brought it back up to my face. I spat on it again, and it was still the same as before. A dissapointed frown tugged on my lips, as Nikolas let out a laugh. He laughed so hard that he wiped away the tears that spilled from his eyes.

"You're going to be fun to be around with, I can just tell already, i'm going to have to eventually teach you how to spit like a real man one day." I only cridged at the thought. Over my dead body. "Whatever that is, your spit will have to do for now, lets shake on it." I cringed again when he grabbed my wrist with his clean hand and slapped my palm with the one that was infested with germs.

I could only groan in disgust when he parted his hands as a line of spit drew in between, and I hastily had to wipe it off on my pants.

Nikolas couldn't stop laughing.

Spit brotherhood my foot!