Chapter 17

Chapter 17

I wander through the village listlessly, not trying very hard to find Yuuto.

Eventually I hear someone calling my name behind me.

I turn to see Yuuto pushing through the crowd, waving and calling my name.

I lean against a store wall while I wait for him to get here.

“Utau. I finally found you.” He pants.

I nod.

“Listen we have been recruited to do an escorting mission. We leave soon.”

“Who are we protecting?” I ask.

“The daughter of a feudal lord. We are only back up so we won’t have to do much.”

I nod.

“When do we leave?”

“As soon as you can get ready.”

“I will be at the gates in 5 minutes.” I tell Yuuto over my shoulder before jumping away.

True to my word I am at the gates 5 minutes later.

A procession of servants and black ops is gathered before the gate.

Surrounded by the black ops is a small carriage type thing( A/N I don’t remember what they are called…). In the carriage thing is a young woman fanning herself.

I turn and see Yuuto arrive.

I jump down from my perch and nod at Yuuto.

I wince when I hear Akane’s loud cheerful voice floating down the path.

I turn to see her running towards us.

“Wait for me!” She catches up and gasps for breath.

“Red.” I greet.

“Utau!  You are doing this mission too? Oh this is going to be so much fun!” I wince again.

“Let’s go.” The head black op states.

A few hours later we are traveling silently along the path.

I keep my senses on full alert, knowing all too well how easy it is to attack these kinds of caravans.

Yuuto is walking beside me, having been stationed in the back alongside me.

We walk in uncomfortable silence until Yuuto speaks up.

“Have you ever done a job protecting a caravan before?”

“Kind of.” I smirk.

“Kind of? What does that mean?”

“Well I have done missions involving a caravan before.” I state. ‘I just wasn’t protecting anybody.’ I think.

“Oh.”

“Have you?” I ask.

“Yeah. You know the accusations against me? Well I was supposed to protect a caravan full of supplies on our way back but I was taken off the mission after the incident.”

My smirk grows wider.

We fall back into silence, only this time not so awkward.

We are separated when we stop for lunch. I lean against a tree and wait impatiently for everyone to finish eating.

After what seems like ages the captain gives the call to move out. I take my new position right behind the carriage. To my dismay Akane is positioned next to me.