Family

Minela felt her knees weaken as she dropped the letter an sat down like a withered plant. Her vision became blurry until she could no longer see her surrounding. She closed her eyes as hot angry tears rolled down her cheeks. This marriage is just a show for him? He doesn't care whoever she has in her life and told her to do same? Does that mean he loves somebody else?
Multitudinous thoughts crossed her mind as she tried to imagine how her life would be like if she married him. She would have to stop the wedding! She didn't want to accept his conditions! She couldn't!

"Minela, what are you doing?" Her mother, Jeeneah asked anxiously. Minela tried to hide her tears as her mother entered her room cautiously. However her mother, on seeing her dewy eyes recognised that something was wrong.

"Are you crying, baby? What's the matter?" Minela faked a smile and, even though her mother noticed her feigned smile, she pretended otherwise. Minela knew how much her step mother Jeeneah was keeping her hopes high for the wedding and didn't want to disappoint her. What would she tell her? To call off the wedding and humiliate her in front of everyone? The whole world was waiting eagerly for this wedding and lots of planning had been made. Lots of money had been spent and cancelling the wedding would cause a great downturn for their company since the whole idea behind their marriage was solely for their business afterall. What kind of daughter would this make her? Would this disappoint her family? She needed time to weigh the pros and cons of marrying him.

"I'm just sad to leave you mom." Her mother smiled sadly.

"I will miss you too, Minela. It just won't be same without you."

"Will I even be able to adapt?"

"Let's forget about small talks. Tell me what you think about your future husband. Clomestiana told me you guys have started sharing love letters? " Her mom raised her eyebrows and smiled, showing her shiny white teeth.

Had Minela not known what was written in the letter, she would have blushed shyly. Her expression hardened and all the colours drained from her face.

"It's nothing mom." She said, trying her best not to let her sadness show.

_________________

Minela was watering her plants as she contemplated what to do. Her balcony was filled with various species of ferns and flowers. Her plants were her life, she did not have many friends and thus this what she often did when she had to think or when she was bored. She watered all her plants herself and didn't like anyone touching them. Nobody in the house had the right to touch them hence, allowing strangers to touch them was out of question. This is why they had no gardener. She took care of her plants herself.

When they were having dinner, Minela's father and mother quickly noticed her change in behaviour. It was not like she was always cheery and bubbly, no Minela was a poised, calm girl of 24 years. All her life had been dedicated to studying and then work. She was the complete opposite of her sister. Minela was a down to earth girl who like perfection in life. However, today, her mind seemed to be somewhere else. Clomestiana, her sister, noticed it too. In attempt to cheer her up, Clo deliberately poured some sauce on Minela's dress.

Minela barely noticed and when she did, there was no reaction from her. She looked like in a daze, she just mechanically took a napkin and wiped the sauce and continued eating her vegetables with her knife and fork.

"Baby" Minela's dad said in a soft tone, "what's wrong ? You don't quite seem like yourself today. I heard Ariven sent you a letter. I hope your change of mood doesn't have anything to do with that, does it?"

"No dad, I'm okay. I'm just.... I....I'm good, dad." She said quietly, averting her eyes. She knew her dad would not be able to see right through her even though she lied but she hated lying to him.