Chapter 30: A Do-Over (Edited)

I had managed to survive a week school without being questioned further. Hayley did keep trying to bring up the subject of my weird behavior, but I had always successfully brushed it off. After my bitter bantering with Chase, he didn't attempt to talk to me again. All week, he's been giving me brief glances. He would look away once I had caught him staring. But not once did I miss the look in his eyes. Sadness, guilt, and regret filled them.

Was that how much he regretted kissing me?

True to my word, I have been trying, doing my best to move on. But everytime I had convinced myself I had, I would see Chase and the look in his eyes was all it took to make me doubt myself.

You can't keep doing this to yourself, Alex. You have to talk to him!

But what if it's too late? And you know I can't just talk to him. Stupid conscience.

Have I ever failed you before, Alex? Just listen to me and talk to him!

I shut the book resting on my lap. I had been reading the same sentence again and again while battling with my thoughts. I got up from my position in bed and stood beside my window. Pulling the window aside, I peeked out the window, looking for any traces of him.

No sign of Chase.

Then I hear a little boy's excited squeals coming from downstairs. "Chase!"

Oh dear god no. Not right now! I don't even look presentable.

At the sound of Chase's name, I rush around in my room and quickly change from my loose tank top and sleeping shorts to black sweats and a plain white hoodie. Taming my wild hair with my hands, I slowly came down the stairs tip-toeing.

"Hey, Ty," came Chase's reply. I could tell by Tyler's wild laughter that Chase was either tickling him or carrying him.

"I know why you're here, Chase," Tyler replied.

"Oh, you do?"

"Yeah. You're here to make Alex all happy again. She's been sad all the time and she doesn't smile like she used to all the time with you. So, you're here to make her happy again."

I couldn't believe my ears. I couldn't believe Tyler just said that.

Chase was probably speechless (as I would've been if I were in his position) because I didn't hear him reply back. I reached the last steps down the stairs and watched the adorable scene in front of me. Tyler was smiling proudly at Chase while Chase was looking down at him with eyes wide and his mouth parted speechless.

"Um, Ty? Could you leave me and Chase alone for a sec?" I asked, catching the two boys' attention.

Chase head snapped to my direction and so did Tyler's. I tried to hold back a laugh with the way Chase was looking at me. He was probably mortified that I heard their entire conversation.

"Okay, Alex," Tyler replied. He skipped up the stairs ranting about how cool the Ninja Turtles were.

As soon as Tyler was out of sight, I made my way nearer to Chase. He was still motionless, leaning beside the couch.

How do you start an awkward conversation the guy whom you haven't been talking to for a week?

"Hey," I start, dragging the y.

Before I could say anything else, Chase grabbed me by the waist, closing the distance between us. His chin was resting on top of my head. I couldn't breathe – not because Chase was almost squishing me but because he was hugging me.

"Princess, I've missed you so much. You have no idea how hard it is to ignore you for weeks and just staring at your pretty face all day. I can't do this anymore. I can't go another day without talking to you –"

"Chase."

"Lexi, don't. I just really need to tell you this." Chase sighed, loosening our hug. "I lied about the kiss."

And then it hit me. I was too focused on Chase ranting that I didn't even really think about what he was saying. First he misses me, he called me pretty, and now he lied about the kiss? My mind was having a hard time processing what he was saying.

"You what? Chase –"

"Just let me finish, princess. The kiss. When I kissed you, I didn't regret it. I never did. Kissing you was like...shoot. I don't even know what to say. I'm so bad at speeches. So I'm just gonna be straight forward. I love the feeling that I had when I kissed you and I'd give anything for a do over. I'm sorry for telling you I shouldn't have kissed you. Now you probably think I regretted it – which I absolutely didn't. Shoot. I'm so bad at this –"

"Just tell me what you want me to know, Chase."

"I wasn't ready."

"Wasn't ready? It's not like that was your first kiss."

"That's not what I mean. I've never genuinely liked a girl before I wanted to kiss her. I knew I liked you for a time now. I wanted our first kiss to be different from all the others. I should've told you I liked you before kissing you just like that."

I think my mind just stopped functioning. All I could think about was kissing Chase again.

So I did what he asked for – a do over. I crashed my lips against Chase and kissed him as hard as I could. I kissed him with all the frustration and anger I had for him and soon enough I ran out of anger and frustration in me. I could feel Chase's arms tense around my waist but eventually, he relaxed against me and kissed me back.

Our lips fit perfectly together, like two puzzle pieces. I kissed him gentler, following his calm lead. His hand slid up to cup my cheek as he trailed kisses down my jaw. I raised my hand to his neck, sliding it slightly higher to tug on his hair.

Chase slowly broke the kiss, breathless. His hand was still cupping my cheek and his eyes never left mine. He delicately traced my lower lip with his thumb, placing a quick kiss on my nose.

"Princess."

"Hmm?"

"I meant what I said. I really like you too."

I blushed under Chase's intense stare. He was grinning like a kid who got a lollipop from the candy store.

Giggling, I replied, "I think I might really like you too."

Chase smirked. "Does that mean I'm forgiven and that we will stop ignoring each other?"

Giggling even more, I placed a quick kiss on his nose. "Yup."