Chapter 37: First Ever Winter Break Trip

"That's it for today's lecture. Make sure to work on your homeworks before the winter break ends. Enjoy the holidays!"

Backpacks were being stuffed and hoots of excitement filled the room as Mr. Callaghan erased the remaining traces of his lecture on the board. He didn't even wait for the bell to ring before dismissing us. Guess he couldn't wait for winter break too.

Everyone was rushing out of the room, so I didn't wait for the bell to ring either. I packed the last of my stuff into my school bag, making sure to secure my notes between the pages of my textbook. I turned around to see Chase doing the same. He was talking a little longer because he was talking with another guy in our class.

"So are you going to Stacy's winter party this year?" he asked. "Heard it's gonna be the talk of the town, as always."

"Nah, I'm good, bro," Chase replied.

"Wow, really? I heard you were quite the party king where you came from."

"Well, you heard right," Chase replied, scratching the back of neck. "But I'm thinking of giving that a rest."

I noticed him glancing at me for a split second too. He looked a little embarassed and unsure.

Did he think I wouldn't like the idea of him partying? I don't really care. Hayley partied like a rock star most Friday nights too. Now that I think of it, she hasn't bugged me to go to a party in months. I wonder if she's convinced Dylan to go with her instead.

The guy Chase was talking with was gone now. It was just me, Chase, and a few other kids who were still asleep on their chairs left in the room now.

"So, party king, huh?" Finally, something to tease him about.

"Yeah, about that," Chase laughed. "Don't worry. Hayley told me it's not really your thing. Since finding out, I've refrained from entertaining any form of party that exceeds the limit of our friend group."

"You didn't have to do that," I replied, slightly surprised. "I don't mind you going to parties."

"I know you don't, but what's the use of going if you aren't going to be there too? I'd rather not go."

"Oh."

Chase stood up from his seat and slung his backpack behind him in one swift motion.

"Wanna get out of here?" he asked, motioning for the door.

"Yeah, let's go."

I stood from my seat and carried my bag with me. As I headed towards the door, I felt Chase's hand wrap around my forearm and gently pull me back beside him. Confused, I looked up at his tall figure and saw him smiling down at me cheekily.

"You forgot to hold my hand, Lexi."

My cheeks filled with warmth. "Sorry."

I placed my hand in his and walked out of the room with him. We've been doing this since we made up a few weeks ago. We'd walk around school holding hands. Sometimes Chase would insist on carrying my bag for me, but I finally made him stop when I told him I wouldn't hold his hand anymore.

He said he didn't want anyone else thinking we were both still available. But then again, he hasn't exactly asked me to be his girlfriend yet, and I haven't got the guts to ask him about it. I could wait. 

We made a quick stop in front of my locker so I could grab the textbooks I needed to bring home with me for some last minute readings. This was sort of routine for us too. Chase would walk me to my locker then I would fix my stuff while he waited and busied himself on his phone.