Chapter 8: Hiring Babysitter (Edited)

"You guys were amazing," Hayley squealed, gripping the wheel tighter in excitement. She was driving me home. "I mean, talk about chemistry. You and Chase, who knew?." She glanced at my direction and winked. "I did!"

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes in frustration. "It was drama class. He put on a show. I did too. We get an A+. That's it."

Right after drama class, I knew that my little acting scene with Chase wouldn't have slipped Hayley's mind. As usual, once she started talking, she never stopped. I've been enduring it for the rest of the day.

The car came up the drive way as Hayley parked in front of my house. I was unbuckling my seatbelt and reaching for my bag at the back seat when Hayley let out a gasp.

"Oh my gosh," she squeaked. "Is that Hunter Chase's car? Oh my gosh, it is! He's lives right next to your house!" She shook my arm and squealed into my ear. I recall the time Chase practially told her we were neighbours in English Lit. Guess she was too busy ogling.

"I know he lives next door!" I replied. "Which made it easier to steal his skateboard."

"Right," Hayley replied blankly. Her expression changed when she looked up. "Why didn't I think of that?" she asked, more to herself than to me.

"Whatever, Hayley," I chuckled, closing the door in front of me. I peeked into the window and smiled. "Thanks for driving me home. See you tomorrow."

"See you too," Hayley replied, grinning. "Oh by the way, I never got the chance to tell you. Your outfit today's on fleek. Very boss girl vibes."

I scrunched my eyebrows confused but smiled nonetheless. "Thanks," I replied, waving goodbye as her car drove away down the street.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

After finishing my homework in my room, I decided to grab a snack from the kitchen before heading to the living room to watch re-runs of Pretty Little Liars. I jumped on the couch with a chocolate bar in hand and switched the TV on.

I've loved this show since it started when I was 11. I used to watch it with her every night. We never missed an episode and we always watched together. But after what happened two years ago, I couldn't get myself to watch again. So now, I found myself missing two entire seasons and finally picking up the courage to watch re-runs. My sister would've loved to binge these with me.

Just as another episode ended, I heard the front door open and close followed by the faint sound of heels. My mom appeared through the threshold holding her suitcase. Seeing me on the couch, she walked over to kiss me on the forehead.

"Hey, mom," I smiled. "How's work at the law firm today? Did your assistant lax off work again?"

"Work was like it always is, honey," mom replied, sitting on the couch beside me. "How about you? How was school? Anything interesting happen today?"

Memories of the acting scene in Drama class filled my mind. For a moment I think I might've phased out and just stared at the TV screen.

"Nothing," I replied, seeming chill. "Just like every other day in school too. Which reminds me, where's Tyler?" I asked, looking around the house.

"I'm here!" Tyler's faint voice echoed from the doorway. "I was outside trying to catch that annoying butterfly. It won't stop moving its wings in front of my face!" He appeared in the living room with his pouty lips sticking out.

"Honey, maybe the butterfly was just trying to be friendly and play with you," mom replied, picking him up from the floor.

"Well, I don't want it to be my friend," Tyler replied, still pouting. "It can't play Minecraft with me!"