Chapter 11: Shopping and Starbucks (Edited)

To my surprise, the week passed by swiftly. Chase and his friends decided to make our table their regular lunch spot. If they're goal was to make my life miserable, they've suceeded. Everyday for a week, our table was the receiving end of Stacey Simpson and her Barbie minions' evil stares. I was practically marked for her wrath. I wasn't scared of her. I was scared of no longer being invisible.

If I was the slighest bit scared of anything else, it would be the way Chase was acting. After our little talk in the hallway, Chase never brought up the subject again. Just like the night I babysitted, he acted like he didn't care about his skateboard. I'm starting to consider that he's  slightly bipolar.

I went home and did all of my homework on Friday night, refusing another party invitation from Hayley. By this time, she had given up on forcing me to go to parties with her. She would text me at least twice but when I reply no, she completely stops.

Hayley: Lex, there's a party tonight in some rich dude's house. Should I pick you up?

Me: Nope, I'm doing my homework.

Hayley: Are you sure? It's gonna be epic.

Me: You say that everytime Hayley. Bye luv u.

Hayley: Luv u 2! : 3

Me: don't get too wasted. i don't want to get out of bed to pick you up.

Hayley: don't worry. i have a ride home.

I beat my alarm clock the following morning by thirty minutes. I woke up at seven in the morning and no matter how hard I willed myself to sleep, I just couldn't. I never wake up before my alarm goes off.

I got up and took a warm shower. Like always, I felt more awake after. I changed into a pair of denim shorts, the blue hue faded from the amount of times it had been used and washed. It even had a shadow of an old ketchup stain near the right front pocket.  I slipped on a grey camisole vest. After slipping on my favorite pair of Converse, I jogged down the stairs to make breakfast.

Normally, mom would be the one making breakfast at this hour. Tyler and I would still be sleeping. As I found myself turning on the burner in the kitchen, mom was already halfway down the stairs.

"Honey, is that you in the kitchen?" said mom's sleepy, faint voice. I glanced quickly behind me, enough to see my mom who just appeared in the kitchen. She was leaning forward the kitchen island with her arms wrapped around her waist, wearing her long, grey cardigan.

I nodded in reply.

"You didn't have to cook breakfast, sweetie," mom said.

"I know," I replied, sighing as I turned the half-cooked pancake over on the pan. "I just woke up really early this morning and decided to cook breakfast for you and Tyler."

"That's really sweet of you," mom replied, kissing me on the forehead. "Need some help?" she asked.

"I've got the pancakes covered but, I guess we could have a little fruit," I replied, smiling. "Maybe you could slice up some strawberries."

"With pleasure," mom replied, chuckling. She opened the fridge and took a bowl of strawberries out, placing them on the counter. She looked to my direction, eyeing me from head to toe. "You heading out today, honey?"

"Yeah," I replied. "I hope you don't mind but, Hayley and I are going to the mall. She wanted to shop for me. You know, the usual."

"That's great, honey," mom replied, clearly amused. "Between me and you, you need a few other clothes hanging in your closet other than just tank tops, plain camisoles, and denim jeans."