Chapter 10: Feigning Innocence (Edited)

The halls inside the school building were empty, as expected. The only things you could see were the lockers on both sides of the hall and the florescent lights on the ceilings. All the students and teachers were still having lunch.

Chase was leaning on an empty wall, using his phone. With my arms crossed in front of me, I made my way closer and stood in front of him.

"What do you want?" I asked blankly.

Chase continued busying himself on his phone. "I want it back."

"Want what back?" I asked, feigning innocence which apparently didn't deceive Chase.

"Lexi, I know you stole my skateboard because you have this weird obsession with me," Chase replied sarcastically. "You don't have to deny it."

I raised my eyebrows and shot him a look. "Why on earth would you assume that I stole your skateboard? What would I want to do with it?"

Chase looked at me over his phone and smirked. He tucked his phone inside his jean pocket and crossed his arms on his chest, mimicking my position. "As I just said, you have an obsession with me," he replied. "And I don't know about you, but I think it's adorable."

I scoffed and shook my head in disbelief. "Alright listen up," I scowled. "The fact that you think I'm obessessed with you is messed up. Get your head out of your arse You can't just blame me for stealing your skateboard. You don't have any proof. You probably even just lost it."

Chase smirked even more, chuckling at my ramble. "You know, you're also cute when you ramble," he replied. "And you're a really bad liar."

"Calling me cute ain't gettin' ya nowhere," I replied sassily.

"I'm not trying to get anywhere," Chase replied, amused as he took a step closer. "I'm trying to get my skateboard back the nicest way possible."

Chase was so close that he only left half an arm's length between us. Although I felt strongly uncomfortable, I did my best to hide it from showing by putting on a blank and unimpressed face and not taking a step backwards.

"Funny, you didn't seem as pissed about your missing skateboard yesterday."

"I didn't know my skateboard was missing until today," Chase replied a matter-of-factly.

He didn't? I was so convinced he knew. It was almost like he was hinting at it last night.

"I told you, I don't have your skateboard," I replied.

"And I told you, you're a really bad liar," Chase answered back. He placed a finger on the tip of my nose. "So just give it up before things get really bad for you."

"You wouldn't dare threaten a perfectly innocent girl," I replied, smirking. "That's not gonna be good for your reputation, bad boy."

"But that's the point, Lexi," Chase took a few steps backwards, pointing a finger at me. "You're not an innocent good girl."

As if it was planned, the school bell rang right on cue. I looked up the wall to see that I had only two minutes to grab my stuff from my locker. Smiling to myself, I glanced at Chase behind my shoulder.

"See you around, Chase," I said before I started to walk away. "I hope you find your skateboard."

Call me crazy but if I saw what I thought I saw, Chase definitely had that mischievous smirk painted across his face. Well, guess we both have to keep playing along.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hayley drove me home after school, refusing to spill the details of her lunch with Dave and Dylan. All I got from pleading was her reply saying, "I'll tell you what you want to know if something actually happens."

If I wasn't her best friend and didn't know better, the evident blush she wore on her cheeks all the way home gave it away. She was definitely hiding something that actually happened.

That night, I was on my study desk finishing a two-page trigonometry homework. Usually, Mr. Callaghan only made us bring home one page but since mom enrolled me in advance math class, the workload was double the original amount – whether it was homework or a seatwork.

Just as I set my mechanical pencil down on the desk, my phone vibrated beside it. Everytime I study, I mute my phone and leave it to buzzer so that I wouldn't be distracted. But since I was officially done with my homework, I didn't bother to pick up my phone.

Chase: I'm guessing that you hid my skateboard under your mattress. ;)

Me: I told you, I don't have your skateboard so back off and stop texting me!

Chase: You're a really bad liar...

Me: *eye roll*

Chase: I love it when you do that...

Me: Shut up.

Chase: Look out your window.

With my curiosity taking over, I made my way to my window and pulled the curtains aside. All I saw was our empty driveway and the grass on our front yard that needed trimming.

Me: Was I supposed to see my empty driveway and the grass on my front yard that terribly needs trimming?

Chase: Other window, Lexi...

Peering out the window across my room, I saw Chase leaning on the railings of his balcony, holding his phone. He looked up to meet my eyes behind the glass of my window. Smirking, he turned back to his phone and continued texting.

Chase: Thx. Just thought seeing your face would help me sleep better tonight.

Me: Ew. Stop that. Besides it's too cheesy.

Chase: Did you mean Chasey? XD

Me: Ha...ha...ha...very funny.

Chase: Glad you liked it ;)

I didn't reply. All I did was look up from my phone and shake my head at Chase.

Why is he suddenly in a good mood? Just hours ago I thought he would raid my house to find his precious skateboard. Now he's sending cheesy texts.

I'm trying so hard not to let him see me smile. Chase was looking at me the same way I would if I lost control. His eyes were sparkling as the moonlight hit part of his face.

Chase: Good night, Lexi...

Me: Same.

Chase: Seriously? That's so lame.

Me: What? Did you expect me to say good night back?

Chase: Why wouldn't you?

Me: Why would I?

Chase: ...

Me: Knew it.

Chase: Just say good night back, already. You're making me feel awkward for saying it.

Me: Why'd you say it in the first place?

Chase: You know what? This is the longest good night message known to human existence.

Me: So what's your point?

Chase: Just say good night, Lexi. I can see you smiling...

Shoot I lost it.

Me: Like I don't see you.

Chase: Good night, Lexi.

Me: I won't say it. You can't make me...

Chase: :)