Chapter 38: You Look Cute, I Look Stupid

After school, Chase invited himself over for dinner at our house. Mom was, of course, ecstatic to hear that we were having extra company for tonight.

She decided to go all out with the menu, not just because Chase was coming over, but also because she insisted we celebrate the beginning of my winter break. We were having caesar salad, tomato basil pasta, chicken parm, some left-over shepherd's pie, and lemon meringue cupcakes.

Sometimes I wonder why my mom hasn't signed up for Masterchef. She's a crazy good home cook.

Chase and I were helping my mom prep her ingredients in the kitchen. I was on salad and pasta duty, he was in charge of breading the chicken, and mom made her cupcakes. She wouldn't let us help her with them because, and I quote, we might mess it up.

I was just about to finish slicing the last of the tomatoes when mom decided to ask Chase a question.

"So, Chase, what brings you to our humble abode tonight? I'm sure Susana had plans for dinner as well."

"She did," Chase replied, smiling shyly. "I told her I'd make it up to her by cooking breakfast tomorrow."

"Alright, but that still doesn't answer my first question." Mom had just finished placing her cupcakes inside the oven. She took her oven mitts off and hung them on one of the hooks on the wall.

"Well, there was something I wanted to ask of you and I was hoping that by having dinner with you guys, I'd get on your good side," Chase replied with no hesitation at all.

I rolled my eyes. "What he means to say, mom is that he thinks you can't ever say no to him. Coming over for dinner is just another way for him to annoy me."

"Hey," Chase smirked, "you love it when I'm around."

Mom was smiling at us from the other side of the kitchen, nodding her head in amusement. "Alright, kids. Spit it out. What is it that you want from me?"

I gave Chase a look that said, go and take one for the team.

"Well, one of my buddies, Dylan Haynes, has a family cabin up at Lake Tahoe. He invited our friend group over for winter break. It's just gonna be me, your daughter, Hayley, and our other friend Dave. We don't plan on spending the entirety of the break there too. After all, the holidays are for family too." Chase smiled.

So far so good. He's doing a really good job at staying calm. Meanwhile, I'm a nervous wreck on the inside. From the look on my mom's face, I could tell she was taking in what Chase had just said and thinking it over. What I couldn't tell was if she was going to let me go.

"And Dylan's parents know about this trip? All your expenses are paid for when you get there?" mom asked.

"Yes, they do. They're away for a business trip and let us stay in the cabin. They just bought it and wanted us to get a feel of the place. It's already stocked up with food and other essentials."

"So there isn't going to be an adult to keep an eye on you guys?" Mom's eyebrows were raised now. Not a good sign.

Guess Chase couldn't get his magical charm to work on my mother after all. Maybe I should invite Hayley over for dinner too.

"That, I'm not too sure about," Chase replied, quickly passing me a worried look. He could tell he wasn't convincing my mom either. "Although from what I know, the Haynes have a tenant and at least one housekeeper in all the private properties they own."

Wow. I knew Dylan was rich too, just not that rich. If he and Hayley end up together, their kids have a high chance of being spoiled rotten. I know Hayley would spoil them for sure. Dylan will probably be the parent with more ground rules.