Chapter 31: The Notebook (Edited)

"Would you just stay with me?"

"Stay with you? What for? Look at us, we're already fighting!"

"Well, that's what we do we fight . . . you tell me when I am being an arrogant son of a ***** and I tell you when you are a pain in the ass. Which you are, 99% of the time. I'm not afraid to hurt your feelings. You have like a 2 second rebound rate, then you're back doing the next pain-in-the-ass thing."

"So what?"

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day. Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me? 30 years from now, 40 years from now? What's it look like? If it's with him, go. Go! I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that's what you really wanted. But don't you take the easy way out."

I could feel the tears forming in my eyes, ready to flow out. I don't know. There's just something about this particular scene in the Notebook that gets me.

"What easy way? There is no easy way. No matter what I do, somebody gets hurt."

"Would you stop thinking about what everyone wants? Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do YOU want? What do you want?"

Just as Allie got in her car, the sound of chuckles being held back turned my attention from the screen.

"Seriously, Chase? You just had to laugh didn't you?" I slapped him across his arm and huffed in annoyance.

"Hey, I didn't even laugh out loud. I was trying to hold it in," Chase replied. This time, his chuckles were building up. "I mean, you can't blame me. The girl just left the guy there."

Chase and I were bundled up with blankets, duvets, and pillows inside a fort that we built in my room. We've been bonding over movie marathons for the past few hours.

After that perfect second-first kiss, Chase decided to treat me on a movie night which I eagerly accepted. After making four big bowls of popcorn and a box of assorted candy, Chase and I started working on the fort. Soon enough, I was snuggled up in the warmth of his arms around me.

"She didn't leave him hanging. He got his answer when she got in the car. Ugh! Whatever. You don't really get movies like this do you? You have the wrong reactions and interpretations."

"Oh I'm the one who has wrong reactions and interpretations? Let's see you watch The Terminator series, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, and other movies like them. I bet you won't get a single thing happening in the movie."

I raised my eyebrow at Chase's smirking expression. "Wanna bet? If I win, I get to drive your car for two weeks anytime I need and anywhere I want."

"Yeah, sure. But if I win, I get to sleepover at your place for two weeks."

Pssh. Like that's ever gonna happen. Mom's never going to let him spend a night over. He's losing either way.

"Deal."

"Deal."

And that's how I ended up being late for school the following day. I stayed up all night watching movies with Chase and woke up half an hour after my alarm. Luckily, I was able to get ready for school in under ten minutes, eat breakfast, and catch Hayley's ride just as she pulled over in front of our house.

"Woah. Someone forgot to put on some major concealer today."

You know, real friends won't be afraid to tell you your flaws - smallest or the worst, even if its the first thing they'll tell you in the morning. It's just one way for them to prove their honesty and loyalty to you.

"Is it that bad?" I groaned, hitting my head against the window.

"Does knowing you were up all night watching Netflix and movie marathoning count as bad?" Hayley asked, turning to face me momentarily to smirk at me.

"Yeah. But at least you didn't know I was up all night with Chase." I smiled triumphantly. That was until I realized the huge mistake I did.

3

2

1

"Oh my gosh!"

"You guys made up already?!"

"Oh gosh that's totally amazing!"

"I knew you guys wouldn't stay mad at each other for so long!"

"I totally knew something was wrong but then I didn't want to intrude 'cause I knew you could definitely handle this one alone. But in just a week? Girl, I love you!"

"I so knew this would happen! Eeeee! The guys owe me 30 bucks!"

"Wait, hold up," I covered Hayley's ranting mouth with my hand. "You've known all along and have been betting on this for the entire week?"

"Yeah, duh." Hayley replied rolling her eyes as if betting on your friends love life problems is a normal thing to do. "I mean, what are friends for than to brighten up your life?"

I sighed and leaned back on my seat. Typical Hayley.