Chapter 3: Friend Requests and Unknown Numbers (Edited)

After bringing mom's cupcakes to our new neighbours, I quickly went up to my room to change. I couldn't bear with the itchy sensation of the lace all over my skin. All I wanted to feel was my soft sweater wrapped around my body again.

In case you don't know, it's a Friday night. All the juniors in my school are drowning themselves in loud music and nauseating alcohol in some cool kid's basement man-cave. Hayley's at the said party because between the two of us, she actually has a functioning social life. My best friend, the life of the party.

And I'm here, all alone in my bed, trying to fall asleep at the early hour of eight. I gave up on that thirty minutes ago. I ripped the thick sheet of duvet off me to the side and switched my lamp back on. With my phone in hand, I decided to busy myself reading cheesy Wattpad stories until I fall asleep.

I was reaching the climax of the story I was reading when a picture of me and Hayley doing the duck face suddenly flashed on my screen. I sighed and pressed the green call button.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked casually.

All I could hear at the other end of the phone was the deafening sound of blasting music and drunk, screaming teenagers. It was difficult to properly understand what Hayley was trying to say.

"Lex, are you sure you don't want me to pick you up? Your house is literally around the corner from here!" Hayley screamed. Her voice was so loud that I had to hold my phone away from my ear.

"Hayley it's around ten already. The party should be dying down. Besides I already told you since yesterday that I don't want to go," I replied.

"You never want to go," Hayley whined. "And for your information, the party's epic!" Hiccup. "And they start at ten and end at four in the morning. Party's just getting started! Hoot! Hoot!"

"I really don't want to go," I insisted, rolling my eyes at my best friend's alcohol-induced stubbornness.

"Lex..."

"Seriously, Hayley. I mean, who wants to go to a house fully-packed with drunk, sweaty teenagers making out on couches and smoking cigarettes? The music's too loud for my ears to handle and what they call dancing isn't even dancing. It's disgusting grinding."

"Lex..."

"I promise you, I won't last five minutes - and I'll only be on the front porch."

"Lex..."

"What?!"

"Hot guys go to parties like this. Besides, you could just ignore couples making out. You don't even have to smoke cigarettes, and you'll get used to the music eventually. I personally don't think you'd get knocked out in five minutes."

"Bye, Hayley. Enjoy the party," was all I could reply.

"Trust me I am," she screamed back. "Bye, Lex. I'll get you next time."

I sighed as the call finally ended. There's no way anyone could ever convince me into going to wild parties - not even Hayley. Just as I was about to continue reading, a notification on Facebook appeared - a friend request.

I pressed the notification which led to opening my Facebook account. There, all alone in my notifications was a pending friend request from...

You've got to be kidding me.

...the Jerk himself.

Is this my karma for not going to that stupid party?

There was only one thing running in my mind again and again: Should I accept it or not?

Accept. What's the harm in doing so? It's not like he'll really pay attention to the memes I post. But then, my first impression of the person wasn't that good. The boy was a total smug-monster jerk.

It was just a first impression. Ever heard of don't judge a book by its cover?

But what if this is just a random trick or prank? How do I know that he isn't doing this for his friends?

Like what happens in the Wattpad books you keep reading? You're over thinking again...

My mind was still busy deliberating whether or not to accept his friend request when my screen went black and an unknown number came into view.

Great now he has my number. This jerk reeks of stalker.

After waiting for the call to automatically end, a got a text message. I checked my inbox and as expected, the same number sent me the message.

Unknown Number: What's taking you so long? Typically speaking, my friend requests get accepted not longe than two seconds later ;)

Me: How'd you get my number?

Me: Are you stalking me?

Me: I'm starting to think you're stalking me...

Unknown Number: I'm not stalking you. Just accept the friend request already.

Unknown Number: please ;)

Me: What if I don't?

Unknown Number: I'll just find another way. As far as stalking goes, I already have your phone number and address ;)

That was all I could handle for the night. I set my phone back on my bedside table, switched off the lamp, and snuggled back under the duvet. But for some reason, I still couldn't fall asleep. The image of the friend request and the unknown number was still haunting me.

I snatched my phone and did the one thing I wouldn't have done if I had another spare second to second guess myself. I pressed the accept button.

Unknown Number: I guess we're (facebook) friends now
Unknown Number: ;)