Chapter Forty-Five

Chapter Forty-Five

            A week had passed, and Preston was going back to school. He had spent most of his time in his room. He used the excuse that the pain killers made him sleepy, when in reality he would cry and write out all his emotions. His mom didn’t think he should go back to school, it would be best if he took the semester off. She believed a week wasn’t enough time to fully heal, but he didn’t want to spend all his time in his room. A little part of him wanted to go back to school so he could get a chance to see Robert, even if Robert hated him right now. Preston finished packing his bag and took it downstairs; Xavier had driven back all the way last night just to pick him up. None of them could believe that he had broken up with Robert. He just told them that things just weren’t working out. Ann Marie and Grant were the only ones who knew the truth. He placed his bag by the front door and went to the kitchen. He found his mom and dad having breakfast.

            “Morning son, excited to go back to school?” his dad asked, Preston was glad that his dad was finally able to get past him being gay and just accept him for him.

            “Morning dad, yup so ready for school, I was starting to go a little crazy just staying here all day and not really doing anything.” Erin looked at her son and husband, she was glad they were talking again. Preston looked at his mom; he could see that she was worried about him going back to school.

            “Mom please don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I don’t want to fall behind; besides I will have Xavier and Ann Marie there. If it makes you feel any better, I will call you every morning, afternoon and night if that will make you feel better.”  Erin walked over to Preston and hugged him.

            “Would it be too much if I asked for a phone call every hour?” Preston and his dad laughed.

            “You worry too much Erin; he is going to be fine. Remember he is staying with Xavier and they won’t let him go off on his own just yet.”

            “Yeah mom, I’m just going to go to my classes and back to the apartment. I doubt much could happen to me if I’m always around other people.” Erin sighed, she knew she was going a little overboard, but after what happened to him, she couldn’t help but worry.

            “Ok fine just call me when can, just so your poor mother can sleep at night.”

            “I will and remember I will be back for spring break.” Preston hugged his mom and kissed her on the cheek. They enjoyed their breakfast and waited for Xavier to come down. When everyone was done, Preston cleared the table and started on the dishes. Erin walked into the kitchen to refill her coffee cup when she saw Preston washing the dishes by hand.

            “Why are you doing the dishes by hand?” Preston turned around and saw his mom looking at him funny, he had gotten so used to doing the dishes by hand.

            “Oh it’s just that Robert always did them by hand, he didn’t believe in using a dishwasher. So I got used to washing them by hand too.” Even saying his name made his heart feel heavy, he missed him and really wished he could be with him right now. Erin could see that Preston was hurting, she wishes she knew the real reason Preston broke up with Robert.            

            “Preston why did you really break up with Robert, the look on your face tells me that it wasn’t because it wasn’t working out. I think there is another reason you broke up with him?” Erin stared at Preston as she waited for him to answer. Preston placed the last of the dishes up and turned his back to his mom, he couldn’t bear to look at her in the face. He knew she would see through his lie.