Regret

Chapter Seven

When Grant pulled up to the gas station, he found Preston sitting on the curb with his head down. He could hear faint sniffle as he sat down next to him. He reached over, pulled him into his arms, and held him. He felt Preston’s body shake as he let out more heart wrenching cries. He held Preston and let him cry until he could not cry no more.

            “My love what happen?” Grant asked as he looked into his blue eyes, now red and puffy.  He pushed a lock of his blond hair out of his face as he caressed his cheek. He just stared at him; all he saw was nothing but pain and regret.

            “I told them and they just looked at me like I was a freak. God it was awful, no one said anything I just had to get out of there. I can’t go back, at least not tonight. Could I stay with you?” Preston asked him as he stared at him.

            He was the reason Preston was in so much pain right now. If he hadn’t told him to come out to his family, he wouldn’t be sitting here on a curb and crying. He felt like such a jerk, he should have just been patient and waited until he was ready.

            “I am so sorry; I shouldn’t have made you tell them. You weren’t ready and I just couldn’t see that. I just wanted so badly to be able to be with you out in public. I am truly and deeply sorry about everything.” Grant said.

            “It’s not your fault, I should have just thought about how I was going to come out to them. God it was awful, my cousin had just proposed to his girlfriend and I just blurted out I was gay. Talk about ruining a special day for them.” Preston said.

            “No it is my fault I shouldn’t have made you tell them. I should have respected your wishes and let you tell them when you were ready. I should have been ok with just being with you even if it meant being with you in secret.” Grant said.

            “No matter what you say it’s not your fault. It wasn’t fair to you that’s how I saw it; I would have come out to them any way. I guess the sooner the better. You are one of the best people that has come into my life and made it great, without you I don’t know how my life would be right now.” Preston said.

            “I can tell you wouldn’t be sitting here crying if it weren’t for me. Your family wouldn’t have looked at you like a freak. God Preston I really screwed up here, I just thought your family would care enough about you that it wouldn’t matter that you are  gay. You know deep down inside it is my fault and a little part of you blames me, and that’s ok because I understand my word and my actions were wrong. So stop saying it isn’t when it is.” Grant said.

            Preston just looked at Grant, he knew him to well. He did blame him; he had put him in a tough spot with no real choice. He was going to hurt someone by coming out either way, but he never thought it was going to be him. His whole world had just been turned upside down and the only person he had for support was Grant. Then Preston;s phone went off, pretty sure it was him mom, he knew it wouldn’t be anyone else in his family.

            “Preston your phone is ringing, aren’t you going to answer it?” Grant asked. He knew it had to be his mom; she must be worried about him. He saw him reach into his pocket and pulled out his phone. He didn’t even bother to look at who it was and just answered.

“Mom I’m fine,” Preston said.

“Um this is Robert, are you alright Preston?” Robert asked. As soon as he heard his voice, he felt like cold water wash over him. Crap, he should have checked the caller id before he answers. He couldn’t say his name because Grant would hear and would want to know who he is. Preston had to come up with something fast. “Look I’m fine I’ll talk to you later.” Preston said as he hung up and put his phone back into his pocket.