Chance Encounter

Chapter Three

            Grant pulled up into Preston’s driveway. He was about to get out of the car when the front door opened and Preston came out. Preston opened the car door and got in; and fastened his seatbelt.

“Hello love, I was going to meet you at the door.” Grant said as he leaned in to kiss him on the lips but Preston pulled away.

“Hi.” Preston said as he smiled nervously at him.

            “So what are we going to do today? Oh and by the way I have to be back here at seven for dinner, but until then I am all yours.”  Preston added nervously. Grant notice he was acting funny.

“What’s wrong you’re acting funny?” Grant asked.

             “Nothing is wrong and I am not acting funny. I am fine can we go now.”  Preston said as he looked back at his house.

            Grant guessed he was worried someone might see him kissing another guy. He did not know why he was so worried. He had a car with dark tinted windows. There was no way anyone could see into  his car. Why didn’t he let him meet him at the door like a proper boyfriend? Was he ashamed of him? Was he afraid he was going to tell his family he was gay? He couldn’t understand the change in him from yesterday. He was upset, but he just put the car into gear and took off. Ten minutes passed before Preston finally said something.

“I am sorry; I didn’t mean to blow you off like that.” Preston said as he went for Grant’s hand but he stopped when he saw the look on Grant’s face. His bight brown eyes had gone dark; his lips were thin and frown lines ran deep in his forehead. He was mad, not just mad he was clearly furious .

 “Grant I am sorry, I did not mean to do that. I just …. I do not know what I am trying to say.” Preston said waiting for Grant to reply. He still had not said a word or moved. He just kept looking at the road, as if he was in deep thought.

“Grant will you please say something?” Preston asked.

He still said nothing, but he pulled into an empty parking lot. Grant put the car in park; got out of the car and was pacing around the car. After a couple of minutes, Preston got out of the car.  He grabbed Grant’s arm to stop and asked him,

“What the hell are you doing?” Grant yanked his arm out of Preston’s grip and looked at him. All the warmth was gone from his eyes, nothing but cold brown eyes looked back at Preston. He took a step toward Preston and said,

“What am I doing? Better question is what are you doing?”  Preston looked at him; he had never seen this side of Grant before.

              “What the hell are you talking about?” Preston asked.

            Grant took a step back from Preston. He ran his fingers through his hair and turned his back on Preston. Then he said,

“Why were you so worried  that someone would see me kissing you? Why did you rush out of your house so quickly? Why didn’t you let me greet you at the door and meet your family like a proper boyfriend should?” He heard footsteps behind him. He  felt Preston’s arms snake around his waist.

“ I told you I have not told my family yet; it just isn’t the right time right now.” Preston said.

Grant removed Preston’s arms from his waist. He turned around to face him.

“Come on Preston, do not lie to me! There is more to the story that you are not telling me. Tell me the real reason you wanted me to come for you.”  Grant yelled at him. Preston eyes started to water, Grant had never raised his voice at him before.