Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

            The last day at home was already here. In a way, Preston was happy, but he was also sad to be leaving his mom. The last month was not enough time to spend with her, but he was glad the month was over. His father hadn’t made it easy on him; he was still not talking to him and was still ignoring him.

           His father wasn’t the only one not talking to him; Robert hadn’t spoken to him ever since the disagreement with Grant. He was going to ask Ann Marie if she had talked to him and to see if he was all right. Preston had left Robert so many messages and he had not returned one. Preston knew Robert had every right to be angry with him; he should have just told Grant there and then that they had been hanging out. If he had just told him, he wouldn’t be ignoring him. Preston placed his last bag in the car; he and Ann Marie were leaving soon.

       Xavier had taken off yesterday, so it was just going to be the two of them on the long drive to the college. Preston shut the trunk and went back inside to say bye to his mom. He found her in the kitchen; she was packing them some food for them to eat along the way. Her eyes were glossy and red; she had been crying all night and this morning. She was taking it hard and the fight between her and his dad hadn’t stopped, but intensified. Preston felt bad because he was the reason she was crying all the time. He wished he could do something to make her feel better.

            “Hey mom, are you alright?” Preston took over placing the last items of food in the cooler.

            “Oh it’s nothing for you to be worrying about honey.” She reassured him.  “So are you and Ann Marie all set to get on the road, you have quite a long drive ahead of you?”

            “Yes mom, I’m just waiting for Ann Marie, I think she is on the phone with Robbie.”

            “Ok honey; is there anything else you need?”

            “No mom, but I just want you to know I’m happy that you’re my mom. I know that this past month has not been easy and I hope with me gone you and dad can stop fighting. I hate to see you two so unhappy.”  She pulled him into her arms and cried.  

            “Preston, I’m going to miss you. This month wasn’t long enough for me to spend with you and I’m sorry your dad is being a jerk right now. I just wish he would just get over it and see you’re still his son. Nothing has changed about you; you’re still our baby boy. Like I told you before don’t worry so much about your dad and me. We will work this out ok.”

            “Ok mom, I’ll take your word for it.” He gave his mom one tight squeeze before he let go. He was going to miss her and his dad. He hoped with him gone his dad will finally come around and accept him for who he is.

            “Ok I’m ready to go when you are.” Ann Marie said as she walked into the kitchen. She took one look at Preston and her aunts red, watery eyes before her own started to water.

            “Dang it why must you two cry, you know how I get when I see people crying.” Preston and his mom just laughed at her as they pulled her into a big hug.

            “Oh come on Ann Marie, I won’t  see you two until thanksgiving. I think I have every right to shed a few tears here and there.”

            “I know Aunt Erin, I’m going to miss you too and don’t worry I’ll be sure to look after Preston.”

            “Hey I’m old enough to take care of myself.” Preston exclaimed.