Family Time

Chapter Four

            By the time Preston got home, he could smell the grill going already.

“Hey family I’m home.” Preston shouted out as he made his way to the back yard, but was stopped in the kitchen by Ann Marie.

“Oh my god Preston I missed you so much.” Ann Marie said as she gave him a huge bear hug.

“Can’t breathe here,” Preston said as he gasped for air.

 “Oh please I wasn’t even hugging you that hard. When did you turn into such a wimp?” Ann Marie asked.

“I am not a wimp, you are just got stronger then the last time I saw you. So how was your trip to Spain you never told me you were going to take?”

“Oh my God Preston it was the most amazing place I have ever been to, and it’s so beautiful. We went to Madrid, Barcelona, and to El Real Gardens in Valencia. It was so beautiful there, especially in the Canary Islands. The beaches are so beautiful; Preston I wish you could have been there.”

“Well I hope you took some good pictures; it sounds like you had a lot of fun.”

            “I really did, I have the most amazing boyfriend. He showed me so much on this trip.”

            “Speaking of prince charming, when do I get to meet him? You know I need to approve of him first. I can’t really trust Zay’s opinion. By the way what’s his name I might need to run a background check on him?”

            “Really Preston, you trying to be the big brother here, come on I’m older then you.”

            “By a year that’s it, and no I just want to know what kind of guy takes a girl he has only been dating for a few months on a trip to Spain? You still haven’t told me his name?”

            “His name is Robbie and you only get his first name.”

            “What kind of a name is Robbie?”

“It’s a nickname, you jerk, quit being mean.”

            “I’m not being mean, I am just looking out for you that’s all.”

“Ok if you say so Preston.”

            “You still haven’t answered my questions yet.”

“First of all, we have been dating for over six months, that’s half a year. Second, he is a great guy who I just love. Third, you will not be meeting him anytime soon. He is a very busy person.”

            “Hum to busy to find the time to meet your family.”

            “He already met the family.”

            “But me, what am I not family?” Preston said as he started to pout his lips.

            “Yes your family but you chose to be away from home, so you missed your chance to meet him.” Ann Marie said.

            Preston knew Ann Marie didn’t really mean anything by him not being home the last couple of years. It still made his heart feel heavy.

“How was your time in Europe?” She asked.

 “It was great; I had a lot of fun.” Preston said as he smiled to himself.

 He thought back to his first day in Paris. He had just walked in the café outside of the boarding house he was staying at with his friends. He had been trying to order a latte, but he his French wasn’t very good. Just then, the guy behind him helped him out with his flawless French. Preston turned around and thanked him for his help.  He was captivated by the stranger’s warm, kind brown eyes and he had a smile that lite up the place. He was the same height as Preston, with a leaner build then him. He had   semi-long brown wavy hair which he wore in a ponytail. That was the day he meet his boyfriend Grant. Since that day, his life had been great. Until they came back, and everything just got complicated. Grant wanted him to tell his family he was gay, but deep down Preston wasn’t ready yet. He didn’t want to upset him, so he agreed to tell his family. Now he wasn’t so sure he wanted to tell his family.  Robert’s words  still lingered in the back of his mind. Why couldn’t Grant  let him tell his family when he was ready? Why couldn’t he just understand like Robert? So many things were going through his mind. Maybe this break from Grant was what he needed. He had to gather his thoughts in order.