Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

            When Preston and Ann Marie finally arrived, Grant was waiting for  Preston outside his dormitory.  Preston would be staying at Broward Hall. Grant helped Preston and Ann Marie take Preston’s bags to his dorm. When they got to Preston’s dorm Ann Marie said her goodbyes to them.

            “Sorry I can’t help you get unpack, but I have my own unpacking to do. Will I see you two for dinner later?”

            “That’s alright, that’s why I have Grant here and yes we will see you for dinner.”

            “Ok see you guys later.” They watched her leave and Preston open the door. When they walked in Preston saw that his roommate had settled in already.

            “Well it looks like your roommate is all settled in, I wonder where he is?” Grant asked.

            “If I was already done, I would be getting something to eat. Now come on the faster you help me unpack the fast we can grab something to eat.”

            “Ok my love what do you need me to do?”

            “Um well you can start by helping me make my bed.”

            “Ok” twenty minutes had passed when Preston’s roommate came back.

            “Oh hey you must be Preston, I’m Noah.” He shook Preston’s hand.

            “Hi it’s nice to meet you and this is my boyfriend Grant.”

            “Oh I know you, I don’t know if you remember me but you use to date one of my friends back in high school.”

            “Wait do you mean Lucia from St. Thomas. Yes now I do remember you, if I remember correctly you two were best friends?”

            “Yes we were or still are; actually she is attending FSU as well.”

            “Well it’s a good things we had ended things on good terms.”

            “Maybe you two would like to grab some dinner with us later?”

            “We would love to, but we have plans maybe some other time.”

            “Yeah sure another time well I’ll let you two get back to what you were doing.”

            “Well it was nice to meet you Noah.”

            “Same to you Preston and Grant it was nice to see you again.” Noah exited the room and left Preston and Grant alone in the room.

            “You never told me you had a girlfriend, so was she the only one?” Preston asked Grant. He thought he knew everything about him. Preston felt like he lied to him about his past.

            “Well no, I thought I was straight so that’s why I use to date girls.”

            “When did you realize you were gay?”

            “Um it was when I was a senior in high school; actually Lucia was the last girl I ever went out with. You’re not mad that I never told you are you?”

            “No I’m just wondering why you didn’t want to tell me, it’s not like it would have changed the way I feel about you.”

            “I know it’s just not something I like to share with others. I don’t want to be those guys who were confused about their sexual orientation.”

            “Well I’m just glad you figured it out, because then you wouldn’t be my boyfriend right now.”

            “I’m glad too, now come on Ann Marie will be her any minute. Let’s get all this done.”     They finished putting away Preston things, just in time for Ann Marie to pick them up for dinner. They had enjoyed a nice dinner off campus at Corner Pocket and then returned back to campus. Ann Marie dropped Grant off first, then Preston. He told his cousin bye and went back to his dorm. His roommate was already asleep when he walked in, he made his way to his bed and got in as quietly as he could and fell fast asleep.

            It was late in the evening when Robert made his way back to his apartment. It was his first day back to work at Café Cabernet, he had forgotten how hard it was to wait on tables, but the tips were good. He would do anything just so he didn’t have to rely on his uncle’s money. He was wondering if Preston would be up right now. He felt bad for ignoring him the last couple of days; he knew it wasn’t his fault that Grant was a jerk. He looked at the clock and it read two o’clock in the morning. Robert was pretty sure Preston was asleep. Nevertheless he sent him a quick text that said “Sweet dreams Preston, hope to see you soon.” With that, Robert hit the sack and counted the hours until he saw Preston again.

            Preston was woken up by the ringing of his phone. When he opened it up, he saw it was a text from Robert. He read it three times and each time it made him smile. He knew he shouldn’t really be smiling at a text from another guy, while he had a boyfriend. There was something about Robert that Preston couldn’t help but smile every time he heard from him. Sometimes he wished Robert was gay and wasn’t dating his cousin Ann Marie. He could really see himself with Robert. Robert was just your all around nice guy who would never do anything to hurt you. He would go to the moon and back just to please you. Ann Marie was lucky to have him as her boyfriend. It made him green with envy, but he was lucky to have Grant. He could be very caring when his ego and big mouth didn’t get in the way. Preston put his phone up, tomorrow was his first day of college and he wanted a full nights rest.