Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

            Three months had passed since that night and Vera could see Robert was slipping into a deeper depression. Robert only left his apartment for work and class; he rarely ever talked to anyone but Vera. She was the only one who knew why he was depressed. Every time Vera looked at Robert she could see the light in his eyes grow dimmer and dimmer with each passing day. She wished she could help him, she even tried to talk to Preston, but Preston didn’t want anything to do with him. Thanksgiving was coming up, maybe going home and seeing his sister and mom would put him in a better mood, Vera thought. She was lucky to have her apartment in the same building as Robert, who knows what he would have done without a friend close by.  When she got to Robert's apartment, she found him in the spare bedroom throwing darts. She didn’t think it was healthy for him to be throwing darts at his ex-girlfriend’s picture. It was barely recognizable with all the holes from the darts.

            “I think it’s time for a new picture, don’t you think?” Vera said as she removed the darts and handed them to Robert.

            “This is the last one I had of her, but if you can get me one of Grant I would be so grateful to you.” Robert replied as he threw the dart.

            “I’ll see what I can do for you, so I was wondering if you wanted to go back home together for Thanksgiving. Such a long drive to do alone.”

            “I’m not going home; I called my mom and Nora. I told them I couldn’t get the time off from work, and that I will see them for Christmas.”

            “Bullshit, why don’t you want to go home? You can’t stay in this apartment for Thanksgiving, I won’t allow it.”

            “I can if I want, it’s my life and what is it to you?”

            “I’m your friend and I worry about you. I blame myself for what you’re going through.” Robert laughed and shook his head.

            “You’re not the idiot who took the shot when he should have just lied. If I just would have lied, I would still be with Ann Marie and he wouldn’t be pissed at me right now.” Vera noticed Robert hasn’t said Preston’s name aloud since that night. She had been careful not to say Preston’s name around him; she knew it would just cause him more pain then what he already felt.

            “Yeah and you would have been miserable being with Ann Marie, while you watch the love of your life with someone else. So what’s the real reason you’re not going home?”

            “He’ll be there, I can’t risk running into him and have him just walk by me like I don’t exist. It’s better that I know he hates me for hurting his cousin then having him think I’m nobody to him anymore.”

            “Fort Lauderdale is a big place; I doubt you will run into him there.”

            “I met him before I was suppose too, so I think my odds aren’t very good.”

            “With that kind of thinking they are not going to be, come on just go home and see your mom and sister. I know for a fact that Nora really misses you and you miss her. Maybe seeing your sister will put you in a better mood.”

            “Vera I just can’t, I do miss them but I don’t think I could pretend to be happy for a week. I just want to stay here alone and wallow in my own self-pity.”

            “Ok if you’re going to do that, then I’m staying. I don’t want you to stay here alone.”

            “What you think I’m going to do something stupid?”