Cinquantatre

Waking up alone, in the past that was normal - he was numb to that. But recently Mai was always next to him even if she was awake well before him, she never left his side. 

Why was this morning different? He didn't know. But he wasn't going to suddenly go on a rampage while trying to figure out where she's gone, that wouldn't do anything. Not that he wasn't going to be irritated for the rest of the day. 

That irritation was going to be vented out on whoever he runs into that's disrupting the discipline. Twofold more than usual. 

"Kyo-san, there's still nothing on Mai-san's family." Kusakabe reported as soon as he walked out from his room, "Hm... Where's Mai-san...?" Kusakabe muttered after noticing the girl wasn't beside Hibari or inside the room. 

"I don't know." It was a shock to hear Hibari of all people say that but even more so that he wasn't going mental or something. 

"K-Kyo-san?" 

Kusakabe just got glared at, "Start looking." 

He was frozen for a second more before he blinked and stood up straight, "Yes Sir!" 

It wasn't as if Hibari was surprised she wasn't there, considering her behaviour yesterday it would have been weird if she was. It annoyed him that he had no idea where or what she was doing, how she was, who she was with; even though he knew he'd find out eventually, he'd rather find out right now.

A couple more hours passed with no word about Mai's location, although they found out her mother and brother were on holiday in England of all places. It really pissed him off that they didn't even tell Mai where they were going nor did they even invite her.

He was drinking tea in one of the emptier lounge rooms with Kusakabe dropping in and out reporting on different things, mainly the growing list of people they had found associated with the enemy famiglia - that was currently being attacked by the Cavallone he believed. Kusakabe was reporting on that too, messages straight from the right hand man Romario himself. There were short updates on Mai; still hadn't found her whereabouts but her family was enjoying the cornish beaches and ice cream in England... After finishing his report, Kusakabe left Hibari to his own thoughts again.

Why were her family even in England to begin with? It wasn't the holiday season, nor was it even summer in England... And without Mai?

Actually, was Mai going to England too?

Come to think of it she mentioned going to China som-

"Tetsu!" 

A confused Kusakabe reentered the room only to fall back slightly when a scowling Hibari rushed out, "K-Kyo-san!?"

"China! Mai's gone to China, check all the surveillance, all of the flights, everything!" Kusakabe got straight to it after hearing Hibari's irritated tone. He phoned up and messaged some of his colleagues for assistance, it's best Hibari got the information quickly rather than slowly. 

He wondered why Hibari knew so certainly that she was in China. 

It was Fon's influence. He overheard them talking about mapo tofu once and that's all that needs to be said. 

The only thing he didn't know is how she got there. He had a few guesses but the obvious one, her buying a plane ticket, couldn't have been. He would have been notified since they have a single card shared between them, so anything she buys he knows and anything he buys she knows. He hasn't seen any activity on the card so it's clear to say she hasn't bought a thing. They weren't exactly low on money either, a ticket to China wouldn't even leave a dent in the bank. The Vongola had just thrown a ton of money onto them to help with building the Foundation and for other finances like research. Hibari already had enough to begin with, now there was just money with nowhere to go. 

Just because he was a guardian, and he didn't even do that job properly, he got paid? Fine enough. He wasn't going to complain. 

Not even half an hour later and Kusakabe had already approached him with results.

"Kyo-san! You were right, we found Inoue walking through an airport in Chengdu with a taller looking man." Even though he was planning on not revealing that last bit it slipped out in the rush. 

"A man?" Hibari's death glares had returned in full force, how long had it been since he's seen them again...? "You're sure." 

"Certain." Kusakabe looked pretty reluctant and he knew that he did, he was prepared for any beating Hibari would offer. However he was pleasantly surprised when the man just turned and walked off, telling Kusakabe's frozen self to follow behind. 

"Call Sawada Tsunayoshi and tell him to bring that girl." Hibari ordered and despite it being far too vague, Kusakabe seemed to know exactly who 'that girl' was.

"Right." 

Now he just had to wait for the weaklings to crowd together in (Unfortunately) his home. Ten minutes later, he'd finished his tenth cup of tea, he heard Kusakabe leading some people towards him. No one else was allowed near him today so it had to be Kusakabe or some suicidal group that wanted to die.

"Kyo-san's waiting inside Sawada-san, Chrome-san." Kusakabe's voice rang out from behind the doors that slid open slowly. Hibari was staring at them as they were revealed behind the shoji. 

Tsuna looked terrified while Chrome just looked nervous. 

"Sit down." Following what the skylark said immediately, since he sounded angry, Tsuna threw himself down on one of the floor cushions. Chrome slowly placed herself down on the one beside him. 

"S-So... Hibari-san, what do you need us for?" Tsuna started, actually having been caught at a bad time; there was a hitman attacking just as Hibari's messenger came, then there was Dino's call, he'd pushed back the enemy family, the Varia were already infiltrating the base now too and now this...

"Mai." Chrome twitched a little, catching Hibari's eye. "You, where's that pineapple?" 

Chrome didn't answer.

"Eh? Mukuro and Inoue-san...?" Tsuna thought it over, "Well Mukuro did seem pretty close with Inoue whenever she was around..." Hibari glared at him as if knowing exactly what Tsuna was thinking. He shrunk back with a shriek, zipping his lips and making a vow of silence. 

"..." Chrome turned away nervous of the cloud man's piercing stare. She knew everything and the cloud was aware of that.

"Mai's in China with that creep, I see." He seemed even more annoyed now. When he saw Mukuro's face he'd likely go on to crush a few towns just from irritation... 

"I-Isn't it because you're busy!? She didn't want to disturb you or anything, right? I'm sure she'll be back soon!" Tsuna tried to lighten the air but considering Chrome wasn't saying a word and Hibari was steadily getting more livid by the second, it wasn't looking good.

"I don't need you to reassure me." He scowled at Tsuna's goodwill. Right, couple of five years, he shouldn't have even tried with Hibari...

"Mai-chan said Mukuro-sama doesn't get homesick and he doesn't have any important duties either..." Chrome finally spoke, not making the situation better but not making it that much worse.

"Since when do I get homesick?"

Tsuna had to agree with Mai on that one, Namimori was Hibari's life. It'll be awhile until he can leave for long periods of time like before in the future. Although, Mai wasn't planning on being in China for long anyway, was she? 

So why pick Mukuro to take her, of all people?

Author's Note:

Hibari's Birthday is a global celebration therefore more chapters. 

Happy birthday for like the hundredth time. I'm gonna repeat it on every chapter that comes out today, in other words the next author notes are gonna be pointless.