Hospitals Part I

"Wh-what!", damn not the stutter again.

" I don't know what the hell happened... but it's all over the news."

"I'll-can your mom-y'know,uh-", I stammered. I heard Cindy snifle.

"Take us to see him? I'll, uhm...yeah.", she said. I then hung up the phone. I can't take anymore of this. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I don't know what I'm gonna do. How long it's been? Like 2-3 days ago when I met this guy and now he's in the hospital? Why can't I live a regular life like a regular teenage girl in a regular school with regular friends? I need somebody to blame. I blame Marcus.

 I was back to pacing back and forth until I heard someone banging on the door. " 'Mari open the door!", Cindy yelled. I yanked the door open and pulled Cindy in, leaving the door wide open. I quickly put Leda in the carseat and strapped her in.
"Okay let's go.", I said. I walked out first and Cindy followed closing the door behind her. We walked down the stairs and out the front apartment door. I walked out and saw Cindy's mom's silver Chevy Equinox. I opened the back door with my free hand and put Leda's car seat in the car and put the seat belt on her. Me and Cindy went to the other side of the car.

" What hospital is he in?", Hillary said.

" Uhh...the one by the Fox News Station.", Cindy said. Hillary put the car in drive and we were off.
 The drive was long and quiet until finally we got there. I got out the car and unstrapped Leda. Cindy said something to her Mom but I really couldn't hear it. I went inside and sat down in the waiting room. I saved a seat for Cindy by putting Leda's car seat in it. I hate hospitals. They smell too...clean. Like everytime you go to the hospital, it looks spotless, but you barely see a custodian there. It smells like bleach and anti-septic wipes. Not to mention all the blood. I looked around. Teal chairs, white walls, teal carpet, white counters. Yep, everything...either teal or white. I looked at the clock on the front wall. The teal clock on the front wall.

6:03

 Damn, how long do I have to stay here? I gotta go to work in the morning. So I sat there tapping my fingers on my knees in a steady rhythm. I was just too relieved when I saw Cindy walk in through those electric doors that open automatically when you get close enough. She looked around then saw me.

" What was that all about?", I asked while taking Leda's carseat off the chair and putting it in front of me on the floor.

" What are you talking about?", she said while sitting down next to me.

" Your mom...I know she said something about me.", I said with a slight smile on my face.

" Not this time...", she said while looking at her shoes. Nikes. Cool.

" For real what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

" Don't make me say your full name."

" Kimari Lela Renee Randall...", she said laughing.

" Cyn-", she cut me off.

" Did I say I was done speakin'?", she said.

" Whatever...". She gave me a silly look that only she could pull off without looking crazy.   "What? You can finish."

" Okay...nevermind."

" Are you serious?"

" Yes! I'll tell you later...I swear." I looked down at Leda. I thought she was sleep. She's never been this quiet before. Good. Especially since we're in a public place. I don't need any more attention drawn to me than there already is. " Aren't we supposed to... you know, ask what room he's in or somethin'?"

" Oh Yeah!", I exclaimed.  I got up and walked to the teal receptionist desk. There was this 50 somethin' lookin' lady. She was wearing scrubs that were a little darker than the teal all around us. She had gold looking hair that was gray at the roots and was writing something on a clipboard while leaning on the counter. " Excuse me?", I asked. She looked up from the clipboard.

" How may I help you?", she said. I looked at her name tag. It said Charlotte.

" Uhm, I'd like to know what room Jacob Perez is in."

She started to stand straight up. " And who might you be little lady?"

" Ah... A friend.", I said. She went in the back room and came back about 5 minutes later.

" Your name?"

" Oh, it's actually me and friend and my...daughter." Her eyes got really wide.

" Well then... I still need your names."

" Cynthia Trawick and Leda and Kimari Randall." She wrote our names down on the clipboard.

" He's in room 69, 3rd floor, its the 9th door to your right."

" Thank you.", I said while turning around and signaling Cindy to head to the double doors. We met about halfway.

" I hope he doesn't look that bad.", Cindy said while clutching Leda's carseat with her right hand.

"Me either...", I said.