Not One...But Two Jobs!

{ Jacob's POV }

I debated with myself over the issue. I love my hair. And more importantly, GIRLS love my hair. I'd look ugly without. Or maybe I don't have to cut it all off. Maybe I could get that new Justin Bieber style or the old James Dean one. Who am I kidding? I wouldn't look good with that. But the longer I stand here, the higher the chance is that someone's going to recognize me and I cannot let that happen. 

I pushed Leda's stroller in the door and sat down at an empty chair. There weren't that many people there. And they all were hypnotized by the game on TV when I walked in. I hope that's a good sign. I sat at an empty chair in front of a man that looked like he was in his 40's. " What can I do for you son?", I've never heard a guy call me that before.

" Cut it, shave it, frisk it. I don't care what you do, just don't make me look like myself anymore.", all the guys looked at me.

" Are you runnin' from the cops or somethin'?", one of them said. He was black and buff. His head was bald like those steroid users you see in the movies. 

" You can say that...", They all exchanged looks.

" You don't have to lie to us.", said the guy who called me 'son'. " Is that your daughter over there?", he pointed to Leda's stroller that I left by the door.

" Yeah.", I said before I could even think about it.

" Now, wouldn't you want to set a good example for her? We know you're lying.", I stayed quiet. I don't need to talk to these guys. I don't even know them. All I need them to do, is change me, then, I'm out of here.

They stayed quiet until the guy that called me son put one of those jacket things around my neck. " You never told me what you wanted."

" Uh...", I thought about it. " Color it...dark brown. No jet black. And cut it down a little. Straighten it, then cut it some more.", then he started to work on my hair. It wasn't as traumatic as most people would think it would be. I know it's just going to grow back in a couple of weeks so why get all worked up over something that temporary?

" Aye turn that up!", some guy yelled. The other steroid junky lookin' guy used a remote to turn up the volume of a 32'' flat screen TV in the corner on the wall. " Cali's got this one James.", they were watching a basketball game.

" Whatever T. You better have my money 'cause we all know Detroit gone win.", I'm assuming said James. I scoffed and said under my breath under my breathe

" Yeah right.", the guys looked at me.

" Finally the boy's talking. ", said my barber aka the guy that called me son. I really need to learn his name. " Tilt your head towards the door.", I did as I was told. I could see very small pieces of my curly hair falling to the ground.

" You really think LA's gonna win! Did you see the last game they played!", James protested.

" Yeah I saw it."

" So you saw those last 3 pointers Greg Monroe made right?"

" Yeah."

" I've proved my point.", he said before reaching over a table to grab a beer.

" Did you see all those ridiculous fouls the ref was making? And Cali's best players were out! The game was basically handed to the Pistons. And besides, Monroe's a punk. He fell once and acted like it was the end of the world. There defense was weak and everybody knows that Kobe doesn't like to pass the ball even when he knows damn well his mind was on another planet.", things were quiet. I hope they're not mad at me. The last thing I need is 3 dudes scalping me to death over a basketball game.

" My man! I'm startin' to like this kid.", the other guy said while laughing. " What's your name boy?"

" Jacob.", I felt comfortable with these guys. And they like basketball almost as much as I do. They've earned my respect.

" Well Jacob, I'm Terrence, known to the ladies as pretty boy T.", this guy's corny as hell. But he's cool. " That salt cracker over there is James. And ya talented barber is my pops Mr. Lewis.", I could feel a little heat on my scalp. He must be straightening it. I'm so scared to see how this is going to turn out.

" Okay.", was all I could say. We watched 2 more games for another hour and a half and I got Terrence a lot of money from James because of my good judgement. And Leda was quiet the whole time! She must really like that peanut butter.

" I'm almost done here.", Mr. Lewis said. I could hear him clipping the edges of my hair. I could feel him combing it up and gelling it. It felt weird and sticky. How can girls where this stuff? It feels like someone smashed jellied up Jell-O in my hair. Okay, that didn't make any sense. " And you're all done.", he said before un hooking one of those vest thingy's from around my neck. Thank god too. I was on the verge of suffocation.

" Well, aren't you going to see how it looks?", Terrence said. I got up an looked into one of the numurous mirrors in the shop. He gave me a quiff! In case you didn't know, a quiff is a style where the front of a person's hair is up. Like Zac Efron's. He has the perfect example of a quiff. But my hair's darker than his so it kinda came out lookin' like... Zayn's from One Direction.

" I like it.", that was partially a lie. Or maybe it's just that I need to get used to it. I was walking towards Leda's stroller when I thought of something. I turned around to see Mr. Lewis putting away the hair supplies. This is going to be hard, especially considering how rude I was when I first got here. " I, uh... can't pay you.", James shook his head.

" You don't think we know that?", it was more of a statement than a question.

" Sorry..."

" Don't be."

" Does that mean I don't have to pay?"

" Nope.", I relaxed a little. " You'll have to work for it.", What!? James saw that surprise on my face. " Yep, that's what real men do."

" But I don't know how to do hair."

" Then you'll sweep, manage the inventory and whatever else until me, Lewis or Terrence have time to teach you how to cut hair.", that doesn't seem like alot. I smiled

" I'm okay with that."

" Good.", Mr. Lewis said. " You start tomorrow from 7 to 1.", Damn! I need to get up around 6:30 in the morning!

" Thanks.", I got Leda's stroller and walked home. Not only do I have a job, but I made some slightly older friends too. And I filled out an application for McDonald's? So I have a definite job and a pending one. I feel pretty satisfied and I can't wait to tell Kimari about it.