Chapter 25- On the Plane

5-16-14

I'm sooooo sorry about the long wait but I've been EXTREMELY busy with homework lately.

My teachers seem to think that the end of the year is a good time to give us huge projects and homework every night so I have almost no time to write.

Anyone else having this problem? :/

Love you guys. <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie’s POV

                After I woke up from my dream crying and calmed down David and I caught up a little bit before the plane arrived. Apparently there was an issue of some sort so it’s a little late. I’m starting to get nervous and freak out but talking to David is helping. It’s distracting me a little from the stress of the situation with Mom and the creepy bastard who took her.

                I shuddered just thinking about him. When I think of how he said that we were going to be married and that I was going to carry his pups it makes me want to throw up and hide under a rock for the rest of my life. I would rather die than let what he said happen.

                Damien kept me on his lap for the most part and when I went to the bathroom he came with me and stood outside the door to wait. Part of the reason was to make sure that no one messed with me but I know that the main reason is that he won’t-can’t-be away from me right now since I just came back to him. His wolf would probably try to take control and track me down if Damien let me go alone.

                Honestly I don’t want to be away from him either. I missed him so much when we were apart and I know that I have a lot of making-up to do for all the pain and stress I caused him. Anna has been purring and basically glowing since I came back. She’s on cloud nine at the moment and I don’t blame her because if I wasn’t so stressed about saving my Mom I would be the exact same way.

                “Cassie it’s time to go.” I jumped a little and blinked, breaking out of my thoughts and looking up at Damien. He sent me a small amused smile and held out a hand to help me up. I took it and my stomach fluttered from the tingles that it caused. “They just announced that our plane is here but apparently you didn’t hear it.” I gave him a weak smile and then the three of us made our way through the crowds of people.

………...

(Later on the plane)

                I stared down at my fingers which are intertwined with Damien’s. He sat quietly beside me, his gaze also on our hands. David is sitting to my right by the little window with his head leaning against the glass. We’ve been on the plane for about ten minutes now and none of us are really in the mood for casual conversation at the moment.

                Damien slowly turned my hand and ran his thumb silently over the scars on my wrist. My eyes followed the motion and I started to recall all the times when I caused those scars.

                “Why?” His voice was tight and quiet when he spoke and my eyes flashed up to his face. He kept his gaze on my wrist and I noticed his clenched jaw. His wolf must be flipping out right now at the fact that his mate used to hurt herself and he wasn’t there to stop me.

                He didn’t have to say anything else for me to understand what he was asking. I pursed my lips as I tried to think of a way to word it. Eventually he looked up at me, his grey eyes focused intently on my face as I contemplated my answer.

                “I… I guess it just… it’s hard to put into words. I don’t really know why I did it, honestly. When I started thinking about Dad…” I took a deep breath. He’s not looking at me but I can tell that David is listening. “I would get really depressed and it… it seemed like it helped to cope with the pain. Because honestly the pain of cutting is nothing compared to how it feels to lose someone you love. Sometimes I would go for a run but that didn’t always help. Even when I was still doing it I knew that it was wrong but I couldn’t help it. It became an addiction of sorts.” I went quiet and stared at the ugly marks on my wrists.

                “You could have… you could have killed yourself, Cassie. What if you had cut too deep and bled out? I could have lost my mate before I ever met you.” The way he spoke made it obvious that it was hard for him to think about. I know that it would freak me out too if I found out that Damien used to cut. The thought alone made me shiver and clamp my hand even tighter around his.

                “I’m sorry.” I felt my eyes begin to burn with unshed tears and bit my lip, leaning over to wrap my arms around his neck in a hug. Then after a few seconds of him hugging me tightly back I pulled away to embrace David as well. “I’m sorry that I put you and Mom through that. I was so selfish.” He kissed my forehead gently and returned the hug.

                “You aren’t selfish Cassie. Your heart is in the right place but sometimes you do things that you shouldn’t. I love you so much sis and so does Mom.” We hugged for a bit longer before pulling back and smiling a little at each other.

                After that we were mostly silent. My stomach is twisting with nerves and I can feel a headache coming on. Seeing that creep again is probably the last thing I want right now but I have to do it for Mom. I refuse to sit by while she’s with that sick bastard. I’m trying not to think too hard about it because I have a feeling if I do I’m going to end up having a panic attack.

                Who knows what they’ve done to her while she’s been there. I shuddered and clenched my free hand into a tight fist.

                About an hour into the flight a lady came down the aisles with drinks, snacks, and pillows. Damien stopped her and bought three bottles of water and a bag of pretzels for me. I’m not really hungry but I should probably eat so I don’t pass out. Basically the only thing I’ve had today was a coffee at the airport.

                I took a small sip of the water and slowly chewed the pretzels, my eyes flitting around to the other passengers and taking in my surroundings more thoroughly. There’s a woman with a small child sleeping beside her and a man who I’m assuming is her husband is on the boy’s other side. The little boy has curly blonde hair scattered across his forehead and his lips are puckered out a little. I felt a small smile creep up onto my face as I took my eyes away and went back to my pretzels. I love little kids.

                I offered some pretzels to David and Damien but neither of them wanted any.

                Settling back into my seat and leaning my aching head against Damien’s shoulder, I closed my eyes and tried to clear my mind a bit of all the thoughts swirling around it as I breathed in his scent.