Chapter 16- Taken

12-21-13

Sorry for the wait but here it is! And thank god it didn't take me nearly as long to update this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie’s POV

                We’re going to see them soon!

                Annabelle yipped happily at me. I grinned yet again at the thought. I know why I left, but I still can’t really figure out how I actually brought myself to do it. To hurt the man I love. Tears stung in my eyes and guilt burned in my stomach but I pushed them back. I’m going to see him soon and then we can start over.

                 I pushed myself to run faster, breezing past trees, rocks, and shrubs without difficulty as the wind from my speed whipped the fur on my body back. My paws barely touched the ground as I ran, practically gliding along. I guess you could say I’m a bit excited to see Damien. My whole body is shaking from happiness.

                Annabelle raised her head and released a long, happy howl before kicking it into gear even more. She must be as excited as me, if not more so. She has absolutely no doubts about wanting to see our mate right now. Don’t get me wrong- I definitely want to see them too- but I just don’t want to see the pain and hurt that I’ve caused him.

                Seeing him and knowing that I caused him so much pain will tear me up inside. I do deserve it though. If it hadn’t been for my stupid decisions we could have been a happy couple right now. The way mates are supposed to be. Now I’m going to have to go back and face the consequences of my actions.

                Plus I’m still worried about what Damien needs to tell me. From the way he said it I can tell that it’s not going to be good news. At all. I’ve been thinking about that since I talked to them and so many scenarios have passed through my mind. They get worse every time.

                I’m trying not to think about it too much because I don’t want to dampen my mood. But I also know that I can’t just push it aside. Whatever it is that he’s going to tell me is important. Not something that we can all just forget about and go on with our lives.

                What is Damien going to do when I tell him my own bad news? How will he react? I know for a fact that he’ll be upset at me for not telling him before. I know that I made the wrong choice in running and that’s exactly why I’m going back.

                Apparently Annabelle didn’t think that I would come back to my senses so quickly because, as she says, sometimes she ‘finds herself questioning whether I should be a blonde or brunette’.

                I had to laugh a little when she said it though because I know it’s true. Most people would be offended and try to say that they’re not dumb. Not me. I’ll just laugh along with her. Anyway, I’m glad that I finally realized my mistakes and that Damien doesn’t hate me. I was so sure that when he talked to me he would tell me to never come back and go die in a hole or something.

                Actually I was thinking of some very nasty things that he might say and, needless to say, I was making myself very depressed despite the fact that Annabelle was denying all of it and kept saying that he still loves us with all of his heart. In a way I guess I hoped that he would be mad at me. I don’t deserve his forgiveness.

                Suddenly my thoughts went a completely different direction when I started thinking about… him. A shudder wracked through my body but I kept running, grimacing as my mind kept thinking of all the messages. Notes. My blood turned cold when I remembered the most recent one and I almost barreled headfirst into a tree.

                Nice job Cassie.

                I mocked myself. I felt myself start to shake again, this time out of fear instead of joy. My eyes lingered for just a second on every shadow, suddenly feeling a familiar tingly feeling on the back of my head.

                I’m being watched.

                I whimpered quietly in my head and tried to go faster, but that is almost impossible by this point. I still have at least another two hours of running before I get to Damien. Right now I want nothing more than to be wrapped up in his strong protective embrace.

                I know that he would do anything to keep me safe and even while danger is near if he’s there I’m not afraid. But he’s not near, and I am afraid. I’m about to piss myself with fear.

                Will he finally follow through with his threats? If so, when? Where? What will he do? Will it be while I’m asleep or taking a run? Now? My eyes darted quickly around the trees to try and pick up any signs of danger.

                Will he come for Damien? David? Mom? Am I putting all of them in danger by coming back?...

                No. Stop thinking like that Cassie. That’s how you got yourself in this whole mess in the first place. Stop thinking about him and just concentrate on going back to our mate.

                Annabelle growled in my head. I shook it to dispel of the bad thoughts and pressed on. Just as I leapt into the air and over a log I heard a loud growl and then something huge and heavy crashed into my side, tackling my much smaller body to the ground with ease. I struggled to get up but failed.

                Snarling viciously, I kicked, scratched, snapped, writhed around, and none of it worked. One of the times when I twisted around I felt my side ram into something and a howl of pain ripped its way up my throat and out of my mouth.

                Blood seeped out of the gash in my side and I squeezed my muzzle shut to keep from making any noise. The other were currently pinning me down- he’s obviously a male- just stood there and didn’t even react when I scratched and kicked at his legs. The way he’s acting is making it look like whatever damage I’m doing amounts to that of a kitten.

                No! He had better fucking get off of me now! I did not put my mate and I through all of this just to be killed now. I have too much to make up for. I managed to land a hard kick into his stomach and drug my nails down the fragile skin, hearing his loud howls as the skin was shredded.

                He was still howling in pain and I managed to kick him off of me, getting to my feet quickly and hurrying away as fast as I can with the cut in my side.

                Before I made it very far, however, I felt meaty arms wrap around my neck and a cloth was placed in front of my face. The smell filled my nose my face wrinkled when I realized what it is.

                Wolfsbane. God dammit. I tried to yank my head away but I can feel myself weakening, becoming lightheaded and dizzy. When Annabelle couldn’t take anymore I shifted back to my human form just as I fell to my knees. My eyes grew heavy and then slipped shut. My head pounded and I heard my heart pounding in my ears.

                And that was all I was able to comprehend before the darkness swept me away from consciousness. Away from any chance I might have had of escaping.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:o Who took Cassie?!

*grins evilly*

I guess you'll have to find out in the next chapter!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you guys! <3