Chapter 24- Memories

4-26-14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cassie’s POV

                “Mommy daddy’s home!” I called into the kitchen. Then I left my position where I’ve been sitting on the couch for the last ten minutes and ran out the front door. Dad got out of the car and when he saw me giggling and running at him across the yard a grin stretched across his face.

                He held out his arms and I jumped into them. He spun me around a few times and I squealed and giggled happily.

                “There’s my birthday girl! How old are you now? Nine?” He scrunched up his eyebrows and pursed his lips playfully as he pretended to be thinking about it.

                “No Daddy!” I giggled. “I’m six!” He smiled again and snapped his fingers.

                “Oh yeah that’s right! My little princess is growing up so fast!” He kissed my head sweetly and then slung me around onto his shoulders. I rested my arms on his head and placed my head down on my hands. He kept his hands on my ankles to hold me and when we went through the door he ducked, spun around in a circle, and dropped me gently onto the couch.

                Then he draped himself over the arm of it on his back and stared at me upside down. I crawled over to him and poked his cheek.

                “Daddy you have to stay here because Mommy said that you aren’t allowed to see my dress until the party.” He pouted at me.

                “Alright Cass. But before you go…” I had started to get off the couch but before I could he grabbed my foot and flipped over, dragging me closer and tickling my sides. Loud laughs and giggles escaped me as I tried to wriggle away.

                “D-daddy! St-stop it!” Another round of breathless giggles burst from my mouth and I felt my face heat up from laughing so much. Mom stood in the doorway wearing an apron and smiling at us, shaking her head and then coming closer to us.

                “Thomas leave the poor girl alone. Her cheeks are red as tomatoes.” Dad finally stopped tickling me and looked up at her, smiling softly.

                “I’m sorry Hailey. She’s just so ticklish. I had to do it.” He swooped down and kissed me on the forehead. Then, before she could react, he grabbed Mom around the waist and started tickling her as well. She shrieked and laughed as she tried to get away like I was before.

                I watched with a smile on my face and then jumped off the couch, running over and reaching up to tickle her sides more.

………

                “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Cassie, happy birthday to you!” I sat in front of my birthday cake with a smile on my face and once everyone was done taking pictures I squeezed my eyes shut, made a wish, and blew out the candles.

                Everyone clapped and I smiled around at all of the people in the pack. Every time there’s a birthday the pack gathers and we have a small celebration in the backyard of the pack house. There are some snacks and a bunch of cake and drinks for everyone.

                Three of my best friends, Mom, Dad, my grandparents, and David stood in front of the crowd and around the table that’s stacked high with presents smiling at me.

                Mom clapped her hands together and then came over to my side.

                “Time for presents! I’ll start to cut the cake while you open them.” She leaned down and kissed my cheek before taking a small package from my Dad’s mom. There’s a pile of presents from my family and a much larger pile from the rest of the pack.

                I opened the presents and said thank you to the people who gave them to me. When I got to Dad’s present a huge grin stretched across my face and I saw Dad gazing at me with an adoring smile as I began to open it.

                I ran my fingers over the soft brown fur and of my new teddy bear and then my eyes flickered up to Dad.

                I flung myself out of my chair in a flurry of fluffy light blue skirts and wrapped my arms around his neck in a hug.

                “Thank you Daddy! I love it! I’m going to name him Mr. Teddy.” A few chuckles came from the pack members around us who were watching the exchange but I just kept hugging Dad till he pulled back a little. His soft smile grew sweeter and he tucked a strand of dark hair behind my ear, kissing my forehead gently.

                “I thought you would like it. And I think that’s a great name, honey.”

…………..

                “Cassie? Cassie baby wake up.” My eyelids fluttered and I slowly lifted them. Tears ran down my cheeks and soaked my face from the dream. I miss him so much.

                My eyes met the mesmerizing stormy grey ones of my mate and I felt the tightness in my chest ease a little. My breaths came a bit easier.

                Why did he have to die? Why my daddy? I was a daddy’s girl and everyone knew it. I practically never left his side once he got home and when he was gone I would get a bit grumpy- or so I was told. Other people in the pack thought that the bond we had was adorable.

                More tears streamed down my face and I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before reopening them.

                Damien gazed down at me worriedly and reached up to cup my cheek tenderly. I stared up at him through watery eyes.

                “Are you alright?” I hesitated and then nodded. “Do you want to talk about it? What’s wrong baby?” I bit my lip and leaned forward to rest my head against his chest as sobs built up in my chest.

                “I h-had a dream ab-about my D-dad and-“ My throat tightened and instead of finishing the sentence I gripped Damien’s shirt and cried into his chest till I ran out of tears and the sobs were reduced down to little whimpers and hiccups.

                He ran his hand gently through my hair and down my back the whole time, waiting patiently for me to calm down. I can tell that hearing me cry is hurting him because his shoulders are slightly rigid and tense.

                Once I was quiet I heard another familiar voice and then remembered that I fell asleep in the airport and that David is with us.

                “I got us some coffee- What happened?” He quickly set the cups down and knelt down in front of me, cupping my face in his hands.

                I moved to sit up in Damien’s lap and he let me but kept his arms around me and my back against his broad chest. I stared into David’s eyes and told him the same thing that I told Damien. I barely managed to keep the tears at bay and a few slipped out but I somehow stayed calm enough to not burst into tears and start blubbering again.

                I need to save Mom. I already lost Dad and there’s no way I’ll be able to handle losing her too.

                His warm caring eyes gazed back at me and he managed a small smile to try and comfort me. I tried to return it but failed. We don’t need to say anything. I can see what he’s trying to tell me.

                It’s gonna be alright.

                I really hope he’s right about that.