Chapter 10

Unfortunately, my sleep wasn’t dreamless.  I was on the same hill as Dante had taken me on our ruined date.  Instead of night it was morning and I was alone.  The sun was shining, and there was a feeling of sadness in the air.  This was my last time on my favorite hill probably with the wolves.  Unpurposefully, I was just walking around trying to savor my last moments.  Three wolves ran up behind me. One was the black wolf, the other was the grey wolf, and the third was chestnut who I assumed to be nick.  “Hey you guys.” I greeted warmly.  After a few seconds they reappeared as humans.  Their physical features were all the same tan, short black hair; dark brown eyes, and muscles.  

“Long time no see Alex.” Nick said and hugged me.  “So the leech finally let our bestest none werewolf friend out!” Joe smirked.  “Be nice.” I warned.  “Hi, I’m Kohl!” The third guy blurted out.   “Smooth.” Nick muttered.  “I had to get out of the house.” I told them.  “Something wrong?” Nick asked.  I shook my head, but confessed, “I’m just a bit stressed about stuff.”  “Is he hurting you?” Joe asked angrily.  Again I shook my head.  “Luke and I are just disagreeing on some things.” I admitted.  

I always felt so safe talking to the wolves.  “Then, just tell Dante.  He’s head over heels for you.” Nick stated.  “No, I can’t tell him.  It’ll just make it worse.” I half screamed.  “Chill.  Sorry.”  Nick apologized, and hugged me.  Saying goodbye was going to be harder than I thought.  “I should be getting back.” I said.  “Us too.” Kohl agreed.  Joe and Kohl turned to leave, but Nick said he’d walk me down the hill.  “Your leaving aren’t you?” Nick asked after we were alone.  He knew me so well.  “Yeah.” I said quietly.  “Alex wherever you go I will always be there for you as a friend of course.” He reminded.  “Thanks.” I said gratefully.  The place I was going no one could find me.  

Light was filtering through the windows in my room as I woke up.  Anger filled up through me.  So, Nick knew I was an abusive vampire’s soulmate, but didn’t bother to tell me.  For 14 years we lived together and nothing!  A warning would have been nice!  There was no note for me this morning, so I went on with my regular morning routine.  Dante and Luke were the only ones who weren’t present at the dining table.  Nick had his head down on the table, and Savanah seemed to be comforting him.  This made my anger subside a little, but it was still there.  “Hey Nick.” I greeted weakly. Savanah gave me this death glare.  Anxiously, I wondered why.  

Ignoring her glance I walked towards Nick.  “Don’t you dare talk to him or walk any closer!” She yelled at me. “Why?  You’re not the only one who cares about him.” I snapped.  “Oh if you care about him so much then why do you make him get in trouble!  If you really cared about him you wouldn’t have tried to escape.  My brother is partially heartbroken after dealing with you.  Dante has given you everything, and he’s the only one will love you no matter what.” She ranted.  Honestly, I couldn’t take another lecture about my behavior so I went to leave the dining room.  “It’s not Alex’s faults, it’s Dante’s.” Nick argued. I stopped in my tracks.  Was he really arguing with Savanah over me?  “How is it Dante’s fault?  All he has done is shown Alex love!” Savanah defended.  “Yeah right, tell me that when he’s bruising and hurting her.  Or when he traps her and me in his house.” Nick retorted.  “Dante might be a little forceful at times, but it’s only to make sure Alex doesn’t make the wrong decision.  They belong together it’s fate.” She declared.  Tired of standing there feeling useless I interrupted, “I think that I should have a choice of whether Dante and I belong together.”  With that I left.  Turning around, I realized that Nick was following me.  “Hey.” He said.  “How are you feeling?” I asked.  “Fine.” He answered, but I could tell how hurt he was feeling.  Seeing his pain I nearly said he could sit in my room, but I decided the library because it was pretty close and we could talk.  “Library?” I asked.  He nodded with great strain.

We were alone in the library.  “Nick, did Dante hurt you after he took me away?” I asked confused at why he was still hurt.  “No, don’t you get it?” He asked.  I shook my head.  “You know how Dante can heal people well think the opposite of that.” He explained.  The opposite of heal was hurt.  With shock and fear I looked up at Nick.  He nodded.   A new thought popped into my head.  How could I trust Nick?  He hadn’t told me about werewolves, vampires ,and my past.  Sensing my doubt he looked at me sadly.  “Alex I know I haven’t do you everything, but you wouldn’t have believed me.” He explained.  “Yes I would, and we would have been saved this trouble.  We could have run away somewhere.” I argued.  Nick had a pain spasm, and I remembered what Luke said about having vampires listen to us.  

“Come on.” I urged Nick.  I felt like I was sneaking out of the house when I was really just going to the portrait room.  Before Nick could ask any questions I gently pushed him into the room, and shut the door.  “Where are we?” He asked.  I summarized the portrait room and all Luke had told me about it to Nick.  “Now I have a couple of questions for you.  Can I have the basic info. about werewolves?  How did you find me?  What were we before?” I blurted out.  “Werewolves can change whenever they want to.  We don’t need a full moon.  We age at a slower rate than humans, and we all have the same physical characteristics.  Wolves are usually in large packs, but mine is small because I broke off to come to America. Originally we were from Germany.  All wolves keep their dark brown eyes, and we are naturally enemies with vampires.  Werewolves are most vulnerable because we can die with stakes and in regular human ways.  

In your past life we were best friends.  We met shortly you moved here and we just clicked.  There was never anything romantic going on between us, but Dante was always jealous.  Also, you always protected us wolves from vampires and made sure we were never in harms way.  I found you by going to the human world and pretending to be nurse. I figured you were in the local area just because. One day I found you not in the hospital, but at a school.  It was when you were five or six.  Under your bangs you have birthmark that’s shaped like a diamond.” He finished.

        Instinctively, I reached for bangs and touched the familiar mark.  Never did I expect it to symbolize so much.  “Why didn’t you just take me and run away?” I asked.  “Where would we run? Not pack to the pack that’s the first place he looked for you.  I figured he’d never find you in the human world, but I was wrong.  I’m so sorry.  That’s why I left last year to try and find him.  Then, he kidnapped me and forced me to tell you where you were.  I’m so sorry.” He repeated.  “Nick stop! It’s not your fault it could have happened to anyone.” I comforted realizing how wrong my words were.  Trying to change the mood I brought up fun things we had done together in the past.  Nick smiled and joked along with me.  It was just like before he left.  “What are you two doing in there?” Dante asked while knocking on the door.  Opening the door Dante’s eyes took me my surprise.  They were full of anger, hate, and a small bit of sadness.  “Answer my question.” He demanded.  “I just wanted to show Nick the portrait room.” I quavered with fear.  “Don’t lie or you’ll regret it.” He threatened.  “She’s not lying.”  Nick snarled. “Watch your tone with me.” Dante snapped.  

“Boys! You’re scaring Alex.” Luke scolded.  “Luke leave us be.” Dante commanded.  “No, Alex is coming with me.” Savanah announced and dragged me towards her room.  “But they’re about to get into a fight.” I protested nervously.  “Don’t worry about them.  They’re just full of hot air. Now get ready for an awesome sleepover!” She commanded.  “Aren’t you still mad at me?” I asked.  “No I realized it wasn’t your fault, and your my best friend!” she explained.