Chapter 9

“Dante please.” I began.  “Don’t.” He cut me off his topaz eyes burning with anger.  Frightened, I tried to run away from him in vain.  He grabbed my ponytail and dragged me to the car with it.  “Dante.” I begged.  “Shush.” He ordered his eyes burning my anger.  He threw me in the backseat of the car.  As he got in the car he began, “I try to plan a perfect date for you, and I understand that you’re nervous and a bit scared.  You repay me by trying to run away with one of them!  Don’t worry though I knew this wasn’t all your fault.  That mangy mutt of your brother also had a part in this.”  My mouth seemed to be glued shut with glue made of fear and anxiety.  

Dante drove just as fast and on turns it seemed the car could flip over any minute.  “Alex what do I have to do to make you trust me?  I know being with me makes you uncomfortable, so I try to stay away despite how much I need you! Yet, your never satisfied!”  He ranted.  A look of sadness and pain passed through his eyes which hurt me.  At this point we reached the house and he quickly opened the door and threw me over his shoulder.  

We were both completely silent as we walked up the path.  When we reached the door he threw me on the porch and I landed on my back with a thud.  Ignoring the pain I tried to stand up, but before I could Dante shoved me inside the house onto the carpet.  Biting my lip I tried not to give him the satisfaction of seeing me in pain.  “Leave her alone!” Nick roared.  “If I were you I wouldn’t be bossing me around especially after your little stunt today!” Dante responded angrily. “Alex, are you all right?” Nick asked with concern.  “Don’t talk to her!” Dante snapped and threw me down the basement stairs.  Rolling down the basement steps I could hear Dante and Nick yelling at each other, but then it got really quiet for a minute.   Painfully, I got off the steps and sat on one of the steps afraid of what was in the basement.  

The basement door opened with a loud bang and Nick was walking down the steps with his face twisted in pain.  He started crying out in pain.  It irked me that it was too dark to see anything.  There were so many things that could be in this basement. Fortunately, he stopped after what seemed like an hour.  Nick sat next to me on the step.    “Nick are you all right?” I asked.  “Fine don’t worry about me.  How about you?” He asked.  That was typical Nick.  He always put others in front of himself and he had an especially soft spot for me.  Nick was the perfect big brother, and I was repaying him by getting him hurt.  “Thanks for the help with the person.” I said trying not to reveal too much information.  “You mean Joe, who was helping you escape.  I don’t deserve thanks for that.  He couldn’t even give you enough time to escape.” Nick said.  I shushed Nick pointing to the door.  “I don’t care if that leech can hear us!” He snapped.  Then, Nick gave a whimper and fell to the ground in pain.  “Nick! Nick!” I screamed.  “Alex calm down I’m fine.” He reassured. “What’s happening to you?” I asked.  “Ask that blood sucker.” He muttered.  “Dante only heals people.” I explained.  “I wish.” Nick laughed. “Nick are you a werewolf too?”  I asked.  He nodded.  Before I could make Nick elaborate a yawn escaped my lips and I realized I was extremely tired.  

“Go to sleep Alex your tired.” Nick commanded.  I leaned my head on his right shoulder, and was about to fall asleep.  “Get off him!” Dante yelled at me.  “Leave her alone.  It’s me who forced her to go with the wolf. ” Nick snapped. “No don’t listen to him.” I protested feeling more useless than ever.  “She’s just talking with fear.” Nick said.  Before, I could say anything else Dante threw me over his shoulder and carried me to my room.  “Dante stop.  You have to listen to me.” I demanded.  He just ignored me and laid me down on my bed gently.  

Once again he closed his eyes and concentrated.  The goodness spread through me and my pain disappeared along with my bruises and cuts.   “What about Nick?” I stammered.   “You expect me to help someone who scared you and tried to separate us?” He laughed.  “You were always too kind.” He muttered.  “Dante please help Nick.” I begged.  “Just because Nick sent the guy to help you escape doesn’t mean you’re off the hook.   You wanted to escape, so you’re still in trouble.” He declared and left my room.  Not wanting to deal with Dante and his mood swings I went to sleep.