Chapter 3

I involuntarily screamed at what I saw.  Dante was biting on grey wolf.  He looked like he was sucking its blood.  After hearing my shriek he stopped.  Luckily the animal was still alive and ran away. But, there was a red path in the snow leading to the forest.  Desperately, I wished I could go with it.  Instead I was left to face Dante’s icy glare.  Quietly, I turned around and walked back into the house hoping Dante wouldn’t follow me.  Of course, he did.  “Alex what were you doing outside?  You could have gotten hurt!”  He exclaimed.  “You didn’t seem to care about me getting hurt in a blizzard did you?  You’re a monster yourself you could hurt me.”  I remarked.  His eyes changed from anger to sadness and pain.  “See it is really you.  I’ve regretted doing that the day after I did it.  You deserved much better than that.  Please forgive me.” He pleaded.  “Perhaps, if you give me some answers.”  “I suppose you do deserve answers.” He sighed.  

Once again, he led me to the living room.  I sat on the couch farthest away from Dante, and he didn’t move because he probably sensed the anger radiating from me.  “Where should I begin?”  He pondered.  “The beginning would be nice.”  I teased.  “Yes, I suppose it is.”  He retorted. After a few seconds of silence he began.  “My family was of the highest royalty in England, and I was heir to the throne.  One day while walking through the kingdom I was attacked by a vampire.  He was going to kill me, but I convinced him to change me.  Before, I met you I was very greedy.  I wanted power and immortality could help me with this.  Quickly, I learned the ways of the vampires.  My parents were relieved that I returned home seeing as I was the only heir to the kingdom.   Now going back to the animal from before.  Vampires can heal something once they’ve bitten it.  That animal was in no danger whatsoever Alex.”  He finished.  

I refused to look at Dante, but there were so many things I was curious about.  “Can you give me the 411 on vampires?”  “Let’s see.  Vampires can’t sleep, but they can eat regular food.  Also, they have super human strength, senses, and memory.  Each vampire has some sort of special power.  Mine is that I can heal people.  The biggest myth is that they can’t go out in the sun.  Oh and finally each vampire has one true person they will spend the rest of their life with.  This would be their soulmate. Only vampires now this, and they are like each other’s halves. You are my soulmate, and you probably feel those sparks.” He replied.  “What sparks?”  I asked playing dumb.  “You must really think I’m stupid if I don’t realize you feel them.  You frown every time they come.”  He answered coolly.

        Instead of thinking about his last statement I moved on to other one of my burning questions.  “How did we meet?”  “Ah this is my favorite story.”  He declared. “Even though I had it all power, money, and immortality something seemed missing.   My parents thought it was love, and they both agreed when I turned 21 that I should start looking for a bride.  I wasn’t interested in the idea of an arranged marriage.  I wanted to find real love, and secretly I wanted to find my soulmate.  Your father was the best business man in town, and very well known.  This should have made you the most eligible girl in the kingdom, but you were different.  You couldn’t clean, cook, or sew which was basically what the perfect wife was back then.  That’s why Luke and I were laughing during lunch.  There were also rumors that you were a witch because you would spend most days reading or mixing chemicals together.  

My parents threw me a huge ball, against my will, to find me a wife.  Every girl in the kingdom was invited, including you.  All the guests had arrived the day before.   Everything was stressing me out very much, but then I heard the most wonderful sound coming from down the hall.  It was you playing the piano.  All I could do was sit and listen to you play.  You didn’t notice me though because you were so deep in your music. After the song was finished though you were in a lot of pain.  Later, I learned that your mother had forced you to cook so you burned yourself multiple times which made playing difficult.  Then, you started another song and I just sat there mesmerized.  In the middle of the song your mother came and scolded, “Alexandria Worthington what are you doing?  Why was I cursed with a daughter as useless as you?  You should be getting ready!  You are the biggest embarrassment of the whole kingdom.”  She then realized I was in the room.  “Greatest apologies for my daughter’s behavior your highness.”  I remember because it took all my energy to tell your mother off.