Chapter 7

Once again I was reliving a past memory.  I was in the piano room, and it was midday.  The plants and grass outside were covered with snow, and I was alone in the room.  Each moment I grew more sad, scared, and trapped.  As I tried to remember why I drew a blank.  Dante walked in, and he looked very concerned.  “Alex, tell me what’s wrong!” He demanded.  “Nothing, I’m fine.” I lied.  “Don’t lie to me!  You will tell me one way or another!” He screamed.  “Please Dante believe me I’m not lying.” I pled.  “Alex I will do anything and everything to keep you happy.  Please tell me what is upsetting you?” He asked.  Why didn’t I just tell him?  If you tell him your problems will only greaten.  But, you can’t take this anymore.  Which is why I’m leaving. With great effort for the first time, I removed my thoughts from the situation.  Why was I leaving and what couldn’t I take anymore?  Before, I had any more time to ponder my questions I was thrown back into my memory.  “I’m not leaving until you tell me what’s wrong.”  He declared stubbornly.  “Dante please I’m tired.”  I lied.  “Fine, but we’re not done here love.” He said.  Quietly, I walked to my room with Dante following me.  “Good night Dante. I love you.” I said.  “Love you too Alex.” He repeated.  Then, I shut the door and drank a potion without a second thought.  

********************************************

“Alex?  Come on wake up.  Dante’s going to kill me if you don’t.”  Luke joked, I hoped.  “Hey Luke.” I greeted.  “Good you’re not dead.” He said.  “Thanks.” I responded.  Then, I realized I was lying on a bed in an unfamiliar room.  While trying to sitting up I took a good look around.  There were bright yellow curtains on the windows.  The bed had blue sheets.  A huge plasma screen tv screen with about 5 game consoles took over the room.  Next to the bed there was a wooden dresser with a bunch of pictures.  A few caught my eye.  One was a mini portrait that had Luke, savanah, and dante it looked 100 years old.  Next there was a picture of Luke, Dante, and me.  Finally, there was one of Luke next to a girl, but the girl was totally blurred out. “This is your room isn’t it?” I asked. “No it’s my evil twins.”  He joked.  “Who’s this?” I asked pointing out the girl. “My soulmate.” He said.  “What happened?”  I asked.  “It ended badly.” He stated sadly.  “I’m so sorry.” I apologized. “Sacrifices need to be made for greater things.” He muttered so low that I could barely hear him.  Slowly, I got out of his bed.   “Are you sure you can get up?” He asked.  “Yeah, did something happen before?” I asked suspiciously.  “Well you passed out on the piano and then fell on the ground.  I thought you might’ve sprained something, so that’s why I carried you to my room.  You were out for a few hours.” He explained.  

As I got up I noticed that my knee had slightly swelled and my head was throbbing, but if I said anything Luke he’d probably make me rest.  His last remark crept me out, so I wanted to keep a slight distance.  Yet, I could have just heard him wrong and he was my only ally here so I didn’t want to totally push him away.  “Alex, are you sure you’re all right?” He asked.  “I’m fine.  Now come on I’m going to prove to you that I can cook.” I said.  

Trying very hard not to limp I followed Luke out of the room.  “Alex you can’t cook.” He stated.  “Yes I can.” I argued.   We went back and forth until we reached the kitchen.  “Watch me work my magic!” announced.  Luke just shook his head.  Why was I proving that I could cook instead of planning escape?  Because if you get Luke to trust you and become your friend then Dante will trust you much easier and then you can along with your plan I told myself.   For a few seconds while washing my hands I pondered what to make.  Finally, I decided on a cheese sandwich.  After searching in the large stainless steel fridge for a few minutes I found a piece of cheddar cheese.  On the grey granite countertop I found a loaf of white bread.  I put the cheese between the two slices and cut the sandwich in half diagonally.  

Then, I put it on a plate and gave it to Luke.  “Alex, this doesn’t count as cooking.  At least make it a grilled cheese.” He commented.  “Fine give me the sandwich. “I ordered.   I had no idea where the pans were so I went looking through random cabinets and cupboards.   Luke laughed at my various attempts.  My head and knee both hurt to the extremist level, but I learned to push through pain a long time ago.  After searching for about 10 minutes I finally found the pans.  Of course being the klutz I was I dropped all the pans and it made a huge noise.  This made my headache increasingly worse, and somehow one of the pans fell on my knee.  Biting my lip I tried very hard not to cry out.  

Luke had started laughing, but then seeing my expression he stopped.  “Alex are you ok?”  He asked, but I could barely listen because of my head.  “Why wouldn’t she be ok?” Dante asked angrily suddenly appearing.  My head hurt even more because of the loudness.  “Dante it isn’t Luke’s fault.” I explained weakly.  “Shh…. It’s all right Alex.  Don’t hurt yourself more.” Dante said.  

Then, I was lifted off the ground and Dante was carrying me bridal style.  “Dante please put me down.” I requested.   Dante just quickened his pace.  He stopped in front of room, and laid me down on my bed.  “I could have walked myself.” I protested.  “No you just would have hurt yourself more.” He argued.  Dante was saying something else, but I had a sudden spell of tiredness.  “Don’t fall asleep!” He warned loudly.  “Please I fell asleep before and now I’m fine.” I begged. “Just give me a minute Alex.” He murmured.  His topaz eyes closed and he took my hand and concentrated.  A feeling of goodness and happiness seemed to spread through me, and all my pain seemed to melt away.  This continued for a few minutes, and I sat up surprised when it stopped.  Dante just laughed. “Thanks Dante.” I said.  “Anything for you love.” He smiled.  Aww That was so sweet that he called me love!  “Your blushing Alex.” Luke commented appearing out of nowhere.  “Luke I trust you to take care of Alex while I’m gone, but instead I come home and find her knee and head both hurt.  On top of that I come to the knowledge that you let her sleep after she hurt herself.  How could you be so careless!” Dante scolded.  “It wasn’t his fault.” I defended.  

“Care to explain.” Dante asked.  I easily summarized the events of the day.  All Dante had to say was, “You can’t cook.”  “Ready for our date?” He asked as an afterthought.  “Dante don’t you get tired after you heal?” I asked.  He chuckled.  “You can’t avoid me that easily.” Guessing that’s a no then.  “Are you sure she’s okay enough for a date?” Luke asked.  I sent a grateful look towards Luke.  “I just healed her smart one obviously she is fine.” Dante pointed out.  “Where are we going?” I asked nervously.  “Don’t ask it’ll ruin the surprise.” He ordered.  “We’re leaving in exactly 10 minutes. Dress casually!” He called while leaving my room.  “I tried.” Luke whispered before leaving