Gone: Who am I? Who was I? Who will I be?

Chap. 1

        “It was such a beautiful day, but murders don’t deserve beautiful days did they?”  I thought as I drove down the familiar Pennsylvania road.  My house was in Stroudsburg, had 2 stories, and was yellow.   As I pulled up in the driveway I say that there was a police car in the driveway.  Nervously, I got out of the car and quickly ran up to the steps leading to the white door.  As soon as I walked  in I spotted a police officer on one of the black leather couches in the living room making ugly black footprints on the red carpet.  

        His was tapping his foot and fidgeting slightly.  “Alex, Where have you been for the past 8 hours?” He asked staring me down.  “School.  What’s going on?” I say.  “We found a letter in your handwriting that says you murdered your brother.”  He answered.  “I didn’t do it.  Please believe me.” I pleaded.  “Don’t listen to her she’s lying.”  My mom told him bitterly .  She had her back turned away from me, and her fists were clenched showing anger.   Ever since by brother disappeared everyone assumed I murdered him which wasn’t the case.  I gave her a look of disbelief.  Suddenly, the police officer’s phone rang.  “I have to take this.” The officer murmured.  My mom gave a look of pure hatred, and her arms were crossed showing true revulsion and anger.  When the officer returned he turned towards me.  “Apparently, you have an alibi.”  He muttered.  “Who was it?” I questioned very confused.  “They preferred to remain anonymous.” He responded.  Then, he left.  

        I honestly couldn’t stand to be in the same room as my mom.  I still couldn’t believe she tried to get me arrested.  So, I walked outside onto the porch to get some fresh air.  Before I could even see the rest of the street I felt a hand over my mouth, and a wave of blackness fell over me.  

        When I woke up I expected to be in the trunk of the car or in a dark room somewhere.  In reality I was in the passenger seat of a nice looking car with this guy in the driver’s seat next to me.  “Hello Alex.” He said. I just stared at him for a moment unsure of what I should say.  “Alexandria ,are you ok?” He inquired.   Imaginary sparks seemed to tingle between us. They didn’t hurt t, but it was pretty weird.  This was not normal! “Who are you?”  I asked finally breaking my silence.  “Alex this isn’t funny.”  He said seriously.    His tone scared me, so I didn’t speak for a few minutes.  Instead, I stared at him, wanting to see his full features.  He was very pale with topaz eyes.  His face was extremely pale, he had short brown hair that looked slightly messy it went just above his left eyebrow then stopped.  Then, his eyes ,nose, eyebrows, and eyelashes  seemed perfectly proportional to his face. He looked about 18 maybe 20 years old.  As I was staring the sparks relentlessly continued.  Maybe they were a reaction to stress or fear that I was feeling from being kidnapped.   “Alex please think.”  He began again.  “I’m sorry, but I don’t know who you are.” I whispered afraid of what he’d say.  That’s when I bothered to look at what he was wearing.  I didn’t know any kidnappers, but his clothes didn’t seem to match the description.  He was wearing a purple dress shirt with black dress pants.  That didn’t seem very inconspicuous for a small town.  Who was this guy?

        The guy then sighed very loudly. Something in his car caught my eye.  It looked like a car air freshener thing, but it had my picture on it.   That was just creepy. After a few minutes he turned towards me. “You honestly don’t know who I am.”  I shook my head.  His face fell, and he looked painfully sad.  He then smiled, and said, ”I’m Dante.”  “How do you know me?” I asked with burning curiosity.  I was met with silence as he stared out the window.

 As I looked out the window I saw we were heading straight towards a big mountain.  The black car was the only one going on this road, and Dante was impatiently tapping his fingers on the steering wheel.  There was no opening or road that went inside of it or around.  Perhaps he was crazy, and was going to kill us both.  Maybe my life was supposed to end this way.  What did I have to go back to?  A town that hated me, guilt, and loneliness from my brother’s disappearance.    The car sped full speed ahead towards the mountain, while all I did was stare silently. At that moment I realized Dante drove like a maniac.  He was going 90 something miles an hour, and he was tapping his fingers impatiently on the steering wheel.  Finally, we reached the mountain.  The car drove straight through the mountain as if it wasn’t there full speed.