Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Dejuanna Chan

When I woke up I was on a large bed with many bright decorative pillows in a dimly lit room.  Black blankets with light rose designs and matching pillow cases were on the bed along with about 10 bright embroidered pillows.  Someone had taken off my glasses when I fainted.  After tripping many times I finally found them on a vanity table with a huge mirror. Since, I had my glasses on I had a full view of the room.  It was very simple and there was light lilac wall paper and black carpet.  The windows had grey damask curtains.  There was a bathroom attached to the room with a large black wardrobe, and that was it.  I decide to see how bad I looked in the mirror.  My reflection was worse than I had expected.  I moved my side bangs  that covered my right eye behind my ear so I could get a good view of how messed up I looked.  My shoulder length brown straight hair was very frizzy and was knotted everywhere, and my makeup had smeared all over my face.  My normally bright green eyes looked dead, but my face was pale just as always.  There was no hair brush so I just used my fingers trying to make myself look normal.  After a few minutes there was a quick knock on the door.  “Come in!” I called.  It was Dante looking more handsome than ever.  Wait did I just seriously think that?  He kidnapped you!  But, there were still those electric sparks.  Yesterday’s events came rushing back to me, and I felt like fainting again.  Before I could hit the ground Dante caught me.  

“How did you get across the room so fast?”  I questioned confused.  Ignoring my question he asked if I was ok.  “I’m fine.” I answered easily.  “Are you sure?”  His eyes were full of love and concern.  In the past year everyone had shown me hate, so I wasn’t used to having someone care about me.  “Why do you care?”  I asked.  “Because, I love you.” He explained.  I just laughed.  “How can you love me?  You just met me!”  I exclaimed.  Dante walked towards me, and held my hand.  “I wasn’t lying yesterday.  You are my soul mate, my perfect match, my other half, and the only one I will ever love.”  He declared.  I’d gone through too much pain and my mom just betrayed me so I couldn’t believe him.  “I don’t believe you.”  I murmured.  His topaz eyes were filled with anger and a bit of sadness.  “You will love me.  I don’t care what you do, but we were in love and we will be in love again!” He exclaimed.  No way was I letting this psycho tell me what to do.  “No!  I will not love you!  You are crazy!”  I snapped.  His eyes flickered with anger, but his look immediately softened.  “Alex please don’t be this stubborn.  I love you.”  He repeated again.  I sat on the bed quietly letting myself escape in into my head so I could somewhat sort of my emotions.  

Dante’s topaz eyes never stopped staring at me. “Alex, I wanted to give you a tour of the house.”  He announced.  “Did you think to ask me?”  I teased.  He laughed again.  He led me out of the room, and around his house.  The whole house had black carpet that matched the one in the room.  All the windows also had the same damask matching design.  After the tour I learned there were 12 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 3 living rooms, 2 game rooms, and 2 kitchens.  “Dante, who lives here?  I asked.  He hesitated, but answered,” Alex our family stayed here.  It wasn’t really technically our family, but we considered them to be.  You’ll meet them later.”  

We were in one of the living rooms when Luke suddenly walked in.  “Is that your hair or a rat’s nest? “  He enquired.  “Excuse me?”  I asked shocked.  “Chill, I was just joking.   We use to do this all the time before.  You honestly don’t remember.  Wow!”  Before I could say anything Dante interrupted Luke with, “Leave her alone Luke!”  At that moment my stomach growled.  “I’ll make you some lunch.”  Dante and Luke said at the same time.  “I can make lunch my own lunch!”  I exclaimed.  They both immediately started laughing.  “What’s so funny?”  I asked demanding to know.  They just shook their heads.  I would get an answer out of them later.  

Luke and Dante led me to one of the kitchens, and Dante forced me to sit at the table while Luke cooked.  Silently, I watched them both cook.  The kitchen had black and white tiles, and was mainly occupied by a huge mahogany dining table.  The table looked like it could seat 15 people, and the chairs were all very fancy.  They looked like Chippendale chairs. There were 2 big windows in the kitchen that brightened the whole room up.   Dante and Luke both made half of a sandwich.  “Tell us which one you think is better.”  Luke demanded.  I was extremely hungry, so I easily ate the sandwich halves.  “They both tasted the same.”  I said.  “You’re exasperating!”  Luke yelled and stalked off.  “Will he be all right?”  “Yeah, he’s the biggest joker ever.”  Dante responded.  “Dante?”  I asked.  “What?”  “I don’t want to annoy you, but I have a few questions.”  

        Dante just walked way ignoring me!  How dare he!  “Where are you going?”  I yelled.  I tried to follow him, but he was nowhere to be found.  Tired of just wandering around I tried to find Luke or the library.  Eventually I found the library, but the room next to it seemed to be calling me.  Not literally, but it just looked interesting.  Surprisingly, the door wasn’t locked, but it creaked probably because it hadn’t been used in a while.  I gasped as soon as I walked into the room.  It was medium size with hardwood floors, and it was pretty dusty.   Along the white walls there were huge portraits of Dante, me, Luke and other people who I didn’t recognize.  Dante and I were in many portraits together.  There were portraits that dated back to the 1800s.  But, it couldn’t be me could it?  I or whoever that girl was looked happy, but there seemed to be pain hidden behind her happiness.  

        “I see you found the portrait room.”  Luke said. “You scared me!” I shouted.  “Sorry.”  “How are you still alive?”  I asked.  “Can’t tell you.”  He responded.  Why?  I thought to myself.  “Because Dante told me not to.”  He confessed.  “Mind reader!”  I accused.  “I wasn’t here.”  Luke said while leaving.  “Wait.”  I pleaded.  He left me alone with my thoughts.  Somehow Luke could read minds, Dante was supposedly a vampire, and we were all alive since the 1800s.  No, this wasn’t happening.  Someone was playing a trick on me or maybe I was dreaming.  I pinched myself a couple of times to see if I was dreaming.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work.  

        Feeling like an idiot, I tried to find my way to my room.  After many failed attempts I finally found it.  As soon as I walked into my room I found my cell phone.  Maybe I could get someone to rescue me!  Then, I remembered how everyone hated me including my mom.  Disappointment and fear washed over me like waves in the ocean.  What was going to happen to me?  All of this thinking and worrying was making me very tired.  So, I decided to take a nap.  

        Whiteness surrounded me, and the cold was numbing.  I was outside of the mansion in the middle of the snow blizzard wearing an old fashioned dress with no jacket!  Why was I outside?  Then, Dante came out.  “A night in a blizzard will teach you how to watch your tongue.”  He taunted, and left me in the snow.  It was so cold and dark. Shivering, I tried to find some protection from the merciless weather. Whiteness surrounded the whole world, and cold seemed to rule supreme.  Every puddle of water had frozen into ice.  Icicles covered the branches of trees, and the wind threatened to knock the sharp objects at any moment.  Soon, I couldn’t walk, and I crawled try to find some warmth.  Only I was outside, not even one bird could be found.  My shivers and pain echoed, but could not be heard over the roaring winds.  A huge pile of snow fell on top of me, but I told myself to keep moving on.   I found a small cave hidden behind an evergreen tree, but it was freezing cold and icy.  Deciding that it was better than nothing I crawled in.  There was no way to make a fire seeing that my fingers were half frozen.  So, I just sat there warmth the only thing on my mind.  After a while, I couldn’t feel my fingers or my toes, and breathing was getting very difficult.  After, a few hours I couldn’t take it anymore.

Suddenly, I was back in my room at the mansion.  It was just a dream, but then why did it seem so real? I still felt like I was freezing cold.  In the dream I was experiencing it, but I didn’t have control over what I did.  Wait, Dante could have killed me in the snow.  If he was capable of doing that then, what would he do now?  Fear crept over me, and my thoughts started going in a million different directions.  Looking out the window I saw the sun was setting, and it looked so beautiful.  Perhaps, that would help me organize my mind a little.  I threw on a magenta hoodie, crept out of room, and easily found my way to the front door.  Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw outside.