Chapter 6

“What was that awful racket coming from this room?”  Luke asked suddenly appearing the room.  “Someone just doesn’t know what good music is.” I taunted.  “No, I think the music was bad.”  He responded.  I couldn’t help, but giggle.  Dante was glaring at Luke angrily.  Was he jealous of Luke?  I’d never had a guy jealous over me before, and I hated to admit this but it felt nice.  What are you thinking? I scolded myself.  “Apparently, someone doesn’t know how to knock.”  Dante muttered.  “Oh, like you’d hear me over the piano.”  Luke answered.  “Whatever.”  Dante said while storming out of the room.  “So, what were you doing in the library?”  I asked Luke trying to break the tension.   “I wasn’t in the library.”  He lied while leaving.  Why was Luke lying?  He was always so nice and funny, but then why was he hiding something.  

Boys were complicated, but pianos were simple.  So, I sat there playing the piano for the rest of the afternoon.  All of my problems seemed to disappear when I was playing.  Lost in my music, I hadn’t noticed that the light from the single window had disappeared.  “We use to sit here all the time.” Dante said nostalgically.   Not knowing how to respond I nodded.  “It’s time for dinner.”  He announced cheerfully.  Quietly, I followed him trying to organize everything that happened in my bed.  “Is everything all right you’re really quiet?”  He asked.  “Fine, I’m just thinking.”  I answered.  Dante just gave me a puzzling look, and stared at me until we reached the staircase. “Alex, if something was bothering you would tell me right?” He hesitantly asked. What was I supposed to say?  You’re abusive side bothers me, so does the fact that you don’t answer my questions?  That would probably just result in you getting angry, and I couldn’t handle that right now!  “Yes.” I said.  “Good.”  He smiled.  

        Everyone was present in the dining room.  Including, my brother Nick.  Savanah and Nick were sitting at the opposite end of the long table from Luke, Dante, and I.  They were both smiling, and Savanah was giggling. It was nice to know there was some light in this dark situation.  “Does someone need to learn how to tell time?”  Luke asked.  I blushed.  “Leave her alone.” Dante growled.  “Someone here isn’t in a glorious mood today!” Luke exclaimed.  Dante gave Luke a disapproving look while I laughed.  Bean tacos were the main course for dinner. They seemed so out of place in the fancy dining room, but I wasn’t complaining. “Alex, I’m worried about you.  You’re not eating enough.” Dante complained.  For his satisfaction, I took a taco.  Pleased, he nodded.  “So, what are you two doing down there?  Anything pg-13?”  Luke called to Nick and Savanah. Both looked super annoyed at Luke, and their reactions were hilarious.  Dante just shook his head at Luke.  Suddenly, Luke was soaked with water.  “Don’t ask stupid questions!” Savanah said standing behind Luke with a now empty pitcher.  Surprisingly, everyone at the table was laughing.  I don’t think I had every laughed this much in over a year.  “Lesson learned don’t mess with Savanah and Nick.” Luke said.  

Dinner was then concluded.  Nick and Savanah left first together.  Before, I could leave the dining room Luke stood in front of me blocking my way.  “Alex, do you want a hug?”  Luke asked.  “Stay away from me.  Don’t you dare get me wet!”  I said. Then, he shook his wet air at me like a dog.  “Luke!” I scolded exasperated.    “If looks could kill I’d be dead right now.”  Luke stated.  Achoo! I sneezed.  “Alex, are you all right?”  Dante asked suddenly appearing.  With another sneeze I nodded.  “I leave you alone with Alex for a minute, and you get her sick!” Dante scolded Luke.  “I’m sorry Alex.”  Luke apologized appearing with 2 towels.  Gratefully, I wiped my face and neck.  “You forgot a spot.” Luke muttered, and wiped a part of my neck with my towel.  Tiredly, I trudged to bed.  Before I got into bed I flinched.  “Why do you always flinch when I touch you, but when Luke touches you your fine?”  He asked.  Involuntarily, I yawned.  “Got to sleep now Alex.  We’ll talk about this again tomorrow.” I fell asleep to Dante humming.  That night I didn’t have any dreams.