Chapter 4

Once again, I was outside in a forest.    But, this time it was warmer and day time.  All the plants very alive, and looking beautiful.  Nick and I were laughing about something that I didn’t remember.  I was wearing a dress similar to the one I wore to dinner.   Nick was wearing his usual blue jeans and a t shirt. Suddenly, Dante comes in his usual dress shirt and pants ,and looks very angry.  “What’s going on here?”  He yelled angrily.  “How dare you flirt with him when you are clearly mine?”  Dante scolded angrily.  “Oh, so you’re allowed to talk with other girls, but I’m not allowed to talk to my best friend!”  I responded.  “I thought you had learned lesson about talking back to me last time.”  He muttered, and grabbed my arm.  In the background I could hear Nick protesting.  He then led me towards the house, but stopped.  All I felt then was a stinging on my cheek, and a loud noise.  He slapped me!  “I would advise you not to talk to him again!”  He yelled and stalked off leaving me alone.  Why didn’t I fight back?

        It was just a dream!  Was this why I left?  But, it had seemed so real.  I could literally feel the stinging still.  Kicking off the black covers I realized Dante wasn’t next to me, which was a good thing!  At least those sparks stopped.  Instead, there was a note next to my glasses in elegant script that read,” Had some business to take care of, so Luke will watch you today.”   I wondered what this business was maybe it was hurting more innocent people! Groggily, I brushed my teeth, showered, and got dressed in the first things my hands touched.  Which happened to be a black t-shirt with jeans.  There was now a slight bruise on my cheek from the slap, so I covered it with makeup.  Then, I brushed my hair because there was now a hair brush.    I went snooping around in the drawers of the vanity table. Seven out of eight of the wooden drawers were empty. The eighth was locked which made me really suspicious.   After many failed attempts to pry it open I gave up.  Just as I was about to open the door there was a soft knock.

“Come in.” I said nervously.  It was Luke, and he too was dressed casually in jeans and a t-shirt.  “So, what do you want to do today?”  He asked.  At that moment I realized Luke had topaz eyes, so I realized he was a vampire.  Honestly, I didn’t know how I felt about vampires.  I just shrugged, and decided to give Luke the silent treatment until he gave me some answers and because I was partially nervous and a bit uncomfortable around him now.  “Did you forget all ready?”  He asked.  “Mind reader!” I exclaimed remembering.  “Well Duh.”  He stated.  “Sorry.”  I muttered.  “You shouldn’t get upset when I say something to you.  Honestly!  What happened to your sense of humor?”  He asked.  “One day it just became like a refrigerator.”  I teased.  “There we go.”  He said while laughing.

 His demeanor suddenly changed, and he became more serious.  “What do you remember from before?” He tried to ask casually.  “Some things.”  I bluffed trying to get some information out of him.  “What sort of things?”  He miserably failed at asking the question casually.  I shrugged.  Then, we both just stared at each other seeing who would give information first. Luke began, “Maybe if I tell you some information about me you can tell me what you remember.” I nodded with agreement, but wondered why he wanted to know what I remembered so much.  “Would you prefer to just stand here or would you like to sit?”  He asked breaking me out of my thoughts.  “I don’t care.” “Well I’d prefer not to just stand in a random hallway.” He muttered.  I followed him not knowing where we were going.  His walk was much slower than Dante’s, and he even slouched.  

We ended up at the mysterious portrait room again.  Remembering our previous conversation I was confused.  “No I did not bring you here to tell you I can’t tell you anything.”  He answered.  “You know I’m eventually going to get annoyed by that.”  I told him.  “That’s the point!”  He said.  “Why are we here?”  I asked.  “Alex this room is special.”  He simply said.  More confused than ever I followed him into the portrait room.